What should I eat?

My mother says I should be careful and watch my food because it might affect me and my baby. What I should and shouldn't eat while I'm pregnant?
    Last edited by Josylle25; 16th April 2015 at 02:46 AM.

Hi Josylle!

Your mum is right! It DOES matter what you eat in pregnancy! Nutrition really comes to the forefront when you are growing a baby!

It is important to incorporate as much whole, fresh foods as possible into your diet. Specifically, I am talking about dark, green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, etc) and other colorful veggies... think bright colors, like red (tomatoes, beets, sweet peppers, etc), yellow/orange (squash, carrots, etc), purple (eggplant, cabbage, etc), green (asparagus, broccoli) and so on... An easy way to get a lot of these things in your diet is to make "green smoothies."
    Here is a video to help get you started with that:

Also make sure to incorporate good sources of proteins, like peanut butter, beans, eggs, cottage cheese, baked/broiled chicken and fish.

These are just a few ideas and certainly not an exhaustive list!
    The important thing is to remember to have a lot of variety and avoid packaged/junk foods.
    With those, you get a lot of calories, but not much in the way of nutrition.

As your baby is growing, your body "steals" the nutrients from you and gives them to your baby, if you are not getting enough of them for both of you. So, in order to keep you BOTH healthy and strong, you have to keep that in mind!

Here is a link to some other articles that will help you get even more information about what to eat and what to avoid while you're pregnant:

http://www.pregnancy.com.au/pregnanc...cy/index.shtml

azcountrymum
    Last edited by azcountrymum; 17th April 2015 at 05:55 AM.

Thank you so much for helping!

Foods to avoid during Pregnancy:
    Meat & Poultry
    Unpasteurized Dairy Products
    Cheese
    Unwashed Fruits and Vegetables
    Caffeine-Related Products
    Canned Foods
    Sugar-Rich Foods
    Fatty Foods

Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy
    Fruits And Vegetables
    Dairy Foods
    Fish
    Peanuts
    Cereals And Whole Grains
    Eggs

Hi, When you are pregnant then your eating habits changes naturally and also your digestion process becomes sensitive. Yes there are some food you should avoid like papaya and lesson the intake of non veg products, fatty stuff etc.

Add nutritional value to your food.
    Last edited by Isabella; 28th April 2015 at 05:33 PM.

It is important to take healthy and nutritious food during pregnancy because healthy foods contribute to your baby’s growth and development and reduce the complications occurs during baby birth. There are certain foods that should be eating during pregnancy such as Avocados, Carrots, DHA eggs, Mangoes, Nuts, Oatmeal, Yogurt, Popcorn and other whole grains etc.

You need to get more protein, more of certain vitamins and minerals such as folic acid and iron, and more calories (for energy). If your diet is poor to begin with, making the transition to eating nutritious meals is one of the best things you can do for your baby's health.