How Much Food is Enough

How should I eat while pregnant? Is it three well balanced meals? Small portioned meals every 2-3 hours? Something different? I don't want to over-indulge and definitely don't want to not eat enough for baby. Let me know, thank you!

Most pregnant women do better with around five small meals a day, as opposed to three large meals. The balance of food helps to regulate blood sugar and prevent morning sickness. Some experts believe this is the way that all people should eat in an ideal world.

As for getting down to what you should be eating, that depends on many factors. Women who were underweight before pregnancy may need a little more, those who are overweight may not need to eat or gain as much. A healthy weight gain for most women during pregnancy is around 11.5 Kg. It is generally recommended that a woman, pregnant with a single baby, and in average shape, consume around 300 extra calories per day. That could be accomplished with a few spoons of nut butter or a couple of glasses of whole milk.

The best thing I can recommend is that you drink plenty of water, stick to healthy foods, and avoid fillers and so-called empty calories like soda. As long as you are eating healthy foods, until satisfied, you should have nothing to worry about.

You may also find some of the articles in the What to Eat in Pregnancy section of this page helpful when making dietary decisions.

Thanks for the info!

What to eat and how much to eat in pregnancy are among the most common questions asked by pregnant women. The answer is essential the same as that for a women who isn't pregnant - a healthy, well balanced diet.

That said there are a few provisos - foods which are considered an acceptable part of a healthy diet in women who aren't pregnant but not safe for pregnant women. These include some fish, soft cheeses, offal, some prepackaged foods (like coleslaw) and those that have been kept warm (like the supermarket roast chicken). This page explains these restrictions in more detail: Safe Eating and Drinking Before and During Pregnancy

Many pregnant woman find eating 5 smaller meals rather than three main ones better, especially later in pregnancy when the baby in pressing on their stomach. That said small meals can also help to reduce morning sickness in early pregnancy and indigestion all the way through so not a bad practice overall!

One of the greatest myths about food and pregnancy is the idea of 'eating for two.' This can result in excess weight gain which can introduce risks into pregnancy and birth which didn't have to be there! As mom2many has stated, a pregnant woman only needs about an extra 1250 Kilojoules daily (around 300 calories in old money!).

Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, take gentle exercise each day and take a good quality pregnancy multi is my advice!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

It's not about how much you eat but what kind of food you're having.Try not to eat much,make it 4-5 small meals a day and try to eat healthy.Drink a lot of water as well.