How to discipline a toddler?

How do you discipline a two year old who has major meltdowns? My son will slam his head on hard surfaces when he gets really upset or frustrated. His pediatrician said he wouldn't ever hit his head enough to cause brain damage. That was NOT comforting to hear! His pediatrician also told me to just ignore him because he is trying to get attention. I have a hard time ignoring a toddler who I think is going to harm himself. Time-outs are not very effective. I don't want to get frustrated myself and use aggressive techniques when he head slams either. What can I do to get him to stop this disturbing behavior?

Well this is how I would go about it.

First I would have him assessed for autism as being autistic myself I know quite a few of the symptoms of early onset Autism. Neurotypical toddlers do not deliberately hit their heads against heard surfaces, by accident sure, not on purpose, and certainly not during temper tantrums. Their hands legs and fists maybe but not their heads. This would suggest to me that their is something wrong here. I am sorry to say, and do not want to scare you, but many of the more severe forms of autism and several other developmental disabilities start out as normal development till age 2 or 3 reaching all developmental milestones, and than there is a regressive period which includes a loss of skills previously learned. This of course is extremely frustrating for the child as they can not understand why they can not do things that they were once able to do. The regressive period does not last very long but can leave a child with the cognitive function of an infant in some cases.
    I sincerely hope this is not what is going on with your son, but if this is the case than sooner you have him assessed for autism than the better the outcome as there are more options available to help younger children with autism than there are older children. Young children with autism are more able to adapt to the changes bought about by Advanced Behavioral Analysis Therapy after age 16 ABA Therapy is not available to people with autism.

Im sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, I know this is harder for you than it was for me typing this.
    Good luck I hope you find some answers.

Thank you for your quick response, aspie. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. My son's pediatrician has never said anything to me about it being a sign of Autism, and actually told me it was a normal response. I will definitely keep an eye out for him though, and if it becomes a more frequent occurrence I will perhaps see if something else is going on. As it is now, he doesn't do it very often, but when he does it is frustrating to me because I don't like to see him hurting himself.