When is the time for solid feeding and what to start with ?

Hi again, I am sure this matter has been discussed already, but still, just to summarize it, do you think its too early for a 5 month old baby to get on solids? I plan to start with vegetables, although I already gave him home made apple and pear juice, and he seems to be enjoying them. What did you start your babies on?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

The recommendation from the WHO (World Health Organisation) is to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months of life and then introduce solid food alongside the breastmilk from 6 months of age and when a baby is developmentally ready (i.e. able to sit unaided, reaching for food etc). I would advise waiting until your baby is 6 months old.

Are you breastfeeding, formula feeding or mix feeding? Whichever of these you do, remember that milk is a baby's main source of nutrients for the first 12 months of life.

It's actually best not to give your baby fruit juice to drink. Or are you talking about fruit puree that he eats with a spoon?

I also wonder if you have thought about baby led weaning? There are different weaning methods and different types of weaning suit different families - you do what is right for you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

thanks for the answer LJ. I gave him both apple puree and juice, just to try it, anyways I'll start him on vegetable purees soon.
    this weaning thing, to be honest, I've never heard of it, will look into it, thank you for the info

best
    reni

Yes do have a look at the link above. It is becoming more and more popular and is now recommended by health visitors. It is a research based weaning method where you give baby's only solid food and no purees and studies seem to confirm that it provides very good long term health benefits for children compared to some puree weaning methods. It also helps to encourage longer breastfeeding.

Warm wishes,
    LJ