When is the right time to stop wearing nappies?

Hi guys!

I have 2 years old daughter. I would like that she stop wearing nappies, but I am not sure is she too small for that? Have you any experience in that or some advise for me?

Thanks in advance! Anni

The right time is the time when the child shows signs of readiness. My youngest child is 23 months old, but she has been out of nappies for around four or five months now. Her brother, who will be four this year, started to use the potty around the same time as her, despite being more than a year older. They both showed readiness signs around the same time, despite this age difference.

As a mother of four, I know how incredibly exciting it is to foresee an end to nappies! They are a pain! But it really is not something you can rush. I have had friends who were adamant about training, pushing their children to use the potty before the child was ready, and their attempts were futile. Some got their child to use the potty, around half the time. Others were just frustrated and at a loss. Believe me, having to clean up all those dirty sheets and soiled underwear is a lot more frustrating than dealing with nappies for a tad longer.

Now, if your daughter is showing signs of readiness, then two is a great time to start toilet training. In fact, I'd say it is around the average mark.

When she does start to show those signs, here is another article that you might find interesting, How to Toilet Train in Just One Day.

The potty

Thanks, mom2many! I would say that my daughter is ready to start toilet training (according to signs of readiness). She started to sit on the potty, but still she haven't done anything. I'm not worried and I would never push her to use the potty, but I think she is ready to start! Thanks again!

Sounds like she is well on her way to being nappy free Anni! Just give it some time. If you are spending the day at the house, you may want to let her spend some nappie-free time so she can get used to the feeling and come to connect her urge to go with actually wetting/soiling.

Keep us updated on your little one's progress and best of luck to you!

Yes, I work on this. Thanks mom2many!

Anni

Anni,

I just wanted to pop in and give you the tips that I had used when getting rid of the nappies. I forgot what the method was called, but we did nappie free weekends. The first day we would hang out all day in an area that would be ok for accidents and have a potty chair in the same area. No nappies all weekend long. The next day do the same thing only put undies on and take a trip outside just for an hour. The next day same thing only the trip make it two hours. I continued this until it worked! My lil guy was completely potty trained within three months.

Three months? Isn't that long period? I don't know exactly how much time is required for that, but I will try it. Wish me a luck.

Regards, Anni

I forgot to mention that we started this right after he turned two. When it comes to potty training, it is all about the child being willing. No one can force a child to do this. The only thing that a child can control is what enters and exits their body. That is why it took us so long, but remember until he went a full day with a two hour trip, we did not allow him to go without nappies.

Well I just joined so I will post my bit on here.

I believe in a child centered upbringing. Children in this day and age are forced to give up childhood far to soon and this often leads to psychological, emotional and behavioral problems in later life.
    As far as nappies go it is well documented in many places that children should start potty training at age 4 as a child's muscles are not sufficiently developed before age 4 to hold in waste.
    Now I am well aware that many Pre-schools, Kindergartens and Daycare's will only accept potty trained children, but I am also very much aware of the Equal opportunities and Equal Rights Act's both state that a child is entitled to education regardless of disability.
    Now while your child may not be disabled, is you look at the word dis-ability is simply means lack of ability. So Every Child care establishment has to abide by these laws.

Me personally I believe in letting the child tell the parent when they are ready to potty train, young children are much more independent than we are led to believe, the need guidance and support. However you watch a 3 year old playing and they will copy everything they see a near by adult doing and the next day they will do it again.
    If you have a 4 or 5 year old in nappies they will see that their peers are not wearing nappies and that they are using the toilet, they will become curious about this, and eventually they will ask about it.
    I have seen this method of potty training work several times on children with autism, and since I am thinking of adopting an autistic baby this is the potty training method I am thinking I will probably use when the time comes.
    Children progress at their own speed and you can not rush a neurotypical child. To try and rush an autistic child is suicide as it would result in emotional and psychological damage to the child, and probably even regression.
    When allowing a child to potty train in their own time, it is also important to encourage curiosity by keeping a potty in every room, some potty training toys, some potty training books, a potty training dvd and some pictures of the toilet to familiarize the child with an adult toilet. If the child has some friends older than they are, or if the child is 4 or upwards you could get some of the child's friends that are the childs own age, with the friends parents permissions to show the child how they go to the potty.

As for reference to the documentation I mentioned on when to start potty training a child, I have to find it, I read that when I was 16, a friend gave me some books to hold and the top one was health and social care GCSE I asked her if I could borrow it during break (since she was the only friend in the entire school and it was out last year together, she said I could keep it) I read it from cover to cover. But I cant remember who the book was buy. I gave it back to her when I was 19 that was the last I ever saw of her. She went off to university that year.