Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Inducing Labor Naturally

So im 39w 1d today and 6 more days to go and it's my duedate. How do I go into labor naturally? Im scared if my OB will induce me, it might hurt so badly...I've tried walking, cleaning the house, takin EPO and Im still 1cm dilated since last week. i just find it so slow and I want to go into labor asap.

Hi,

Try not to focus too much on your due date. Only about 5% of babies are born on their due date! As a woman, you have the right to go into labour naturally. If you go into labour naturally then you are more likely to have a low intervention birth. So, try and relax and trust your body and your baby to be born when he/she is ready. Here are some natural ways to help start labour, however, they will only work if your baby is ready to be born.

* Make love! It helps to produce oxytocin to kick-start labour.
    * Walk lots - but don't overdo it
    * Relax in a bath and visualise your cervix beginning to soften
    * Eat plenty of fresh pineapple
    * Try a spicy curry

Thinking of you,

Best wishes,

LJ

hi!!

thanks for your response. I tried to walk lots last night and this morning and im spotting right now. could this be a good sign?? i hope so...

In labour, spotting usually means your are dilating and that is a good sign! Any news?

Ooooh it sounds like your show - which usually means labour will be soon to start. How exciting!

Spotting is normal just before/ in labour. However, any heavier or bright red bleeding should be checked out by a doctor.

Best wishes,

LJ

hi ladies!!

wow, it appears im really on labor those times. I gave birth evening of January 20th. thanks for all your responses!

Congratulations on your baby.
    I came to this post late but would recommend acupuncture to bring on labour and also cranial osteopathy can be effective too.

Hi iyah80

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! My second little girl was born January 21 2011 making our babies almost exactly two years apart, and your baby about 11 weeks old now.

How is it all going?

Regards
    Yvette
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Induced labor

Hi, I've given birth after an induced labor at 41 and I want to ask is it healthy to do this or should I have waited for the labor to produce normally? I'm asking this because I'm thinking of getting pregnant again in two or three years.
    Thank you

Hi,

Please can I ask why your labour was induced Nicoleta? As this will help us to answer your question fully.

The issue with inducing labour is that it often starts a cascade of events. For example, a woman has her labour induced, she is more likely to need an epidural for pain relief because she cannot move about as freely or use a birthing pool, this means labour is more likely to slow down or even stop and a c-section is then more likely to occur which introduces more risks (such as the risk of infection) to mother and baby.

Many hospitals have a policy where they routinely book women for an induction when the woman is a certain number of days overdue (such as 41+10 days). However, many women and health professionals are now raising their voices about this issue as in the huge majority of cases it is unnecessary for a woman to be induced merely because she is overdue. The Positive Birth Movement is raising awareness about the benefits of waiting to have a natural labour and the right of women to do so.

Many women agree to being induced because they are told that their baby is at risk of being stillborn if they are 2 weeks overdue. Women are often told this is twice as likely if they are 2 weeks overdue. However, the study being referred to actually shows that the risk goes from 1/2000 (at 40 weeks) to 1/1000 (at 42 weeks). However, it is thought that some of these babies would sadly always have been stillborn. Whilst no-one wants to think about something so devastating, these figures are still very small.

Giving birth naturally also means you have lots of the hormone Oxytocin flowing when you give birth. This is known as the 'love hormone' and helps with mother to baby bonding.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi,

my labor was induced because I had 41 weeks and that my doctor was on 24 h duty and really wanted to get birth under his supervision. I didn't receive though any painkillers and I don't know how natural labor should occur but it seemed very rough for me.
    Thank you

I am so sorry to hear that. I don't believe that labour should ever be induced simply to meet a doctor's schedule. Babies don't arrive according to a schedule! Especially as you were only 41 weeks it is extremely likely that you would have gone into labour naturally in the following week. In by far the majority of cases labour starts when a baby is ready to be born. It is a delicate process and if the woman is in comfortable surroundings and lots of Oxytocin is being produced then the cervix will begin to open more and more until the second stage of labour when the baby travels through the birth canal.

When labour is induced, the woman's body may not be ready for labour to start and the medication used also stops the flow of natural Oxytocin. This means that labour is more likely to be painful and a woman is more likely to need pethedene or an epidural in order to cope with the pain.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear that you had a difficult inducement. If you contacted the Positive Birth Movement (linked in my comments above) about this then I'm sure they would share my sentiments. It is a woman (and her baby's) right to go into labour naturally - this is particularly the case if there is no medical reason contraindicating this.

How do you feel about your birth experience now?

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Nicoleta

I just wanted to jump in and second LJ's sentiments. Babies know best when they are ready to be born and we generally see the best outcomes for both mothers and babies in labour and birth when the processes are allowed to unfold naturally.

To induce a women to meet a schedule is just plain selfish. It demonstrates a lack of respect for the delicate balance that is birth and for the women and child who are actually experiencing it. In 1971 my mother was induced so her doctor could avoid being interrupted during his weekend golf game - how rude is that?!

These types of views are important to assess in choosing a doctor should you go that route again. As an alternative you might like to consider an Independent Midwife next time, either instead of or to compliment a doctor's care. To explore this idea you might like to review this section the PBB website: Private midwifery

For anyone else reading this post and looking for ways to naturally induce labour, the following article makes very interesting reading: Inducing Labour Naturally
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 23rd August 2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi ljmarsden and Mumof2IVFmiracles,

I have to say it was very difficult to cope with, I also don't have a natural birth to compare it with but I think that for me it was a very traumatizing process that I've gone through. As a consequence I'm not sorry at all because I have my baby now and she made our life a heaven but I have my reservations when thinking of giving birth again.
    Thank you

I'm so, so sorry to hear that.

To me, your birthing story is a violation of you as a woman. Whilst we don't know for sure how your labour would have turned out if you had been supported in allowing labour to start naturally - the statistics point to a natural labour as more likely being an easier labour and a positive birthing experience. Birth is about beginnings - and these beginnings stay with us for the rest of our lives. This is why it is so important that everyone understands the need for birth to be a positive, respectful experience - whatever turns the birthing journey takes.

Many hospitals offer an afterthoughts process where you can go through your labour notes in detail with a midwife - do you feel able to do this? How about writing your birthing story down in detail so you are able to acknowledge, and grieve if necessary, for each part of it? Have you considered any form of counselling to help you? Birth trauma is very real and very difficult - but there is lots of support available. You are doing so well to share your story here.

You have a beautiful baby now but I disagree when we are told 'that is all that matters' - of course having a baby is the greatest blessing and is the reason for the birth and changes our lives in uncountable wonderful ways. However, the way we give birth does matter. It matters because it is part of our story as mothers and it is the beginning of a life-changing event that we visit in our memories again and again.

It doesn't have to be the same next time around. I experienced post traumatic stress after the birth of my first baby. Like you, I was worried about giving birth again. However, I spent a lot of time researching birth and took a Hypnobirthing course and decided to get a doula to support myself and my husband. The birth of my second son was hugely positive and, in many ways, I can't wait to do it again There is no reason for your future births to be totally different from the first. I know it can be hard to believe after just one experience which was traumatic - but birth can be positive and life-affirming.

Thinking of you,

LJ