Signs of Fertility

In an ideal cycle, you will ovulate 14 days before your next cycle. But when you don't know when your next cycle is going to start, the best way to catch your ovulation before it happens is by watching the changes in your cervical mucus.

When you are not fertile, your body produces "dry" cervical mucus. You'll know you're dry because you'll feel like you need to add a lubricant when you're making love. It just won't be very slippery or wet.

About 5 days before you're going to ovulate, your cervical mucus will change. You may see a clump of mucus on your underwear or hanging from your pubic hair. That clump of mucus might feel like dried rubber cement if you touch it. Some women won't see this clump of mucus, and others will see it routinely, each month.

Next, your cervical mucus will become sticky and tacky and creamy and it may look white. This is a good indication that you have entered your fertile window, and having sex at this time could result in pregnancy.

Your cervical mucus will then go from creamy to stretchy and take on more of a clear color. You will be able to pick it up and stretch it between your fingers. It may stretch just an inch or two, and then break. You're in your fertile window and sex during this time could result in pregnancy.

The day before and the day of ovulation, your cervical mucus will be clear and wet and it will have the consistency of egg white. You will be able to pick it up and stretch it between your thumb and fore finger and it may not break even if you stretch it 6 inches. This is when you are at your peak of fertility and sex at this time gives you the best chance of conception.

When you are highly fertile you may notice that the cervical mucus looks shimmery when you wipe across your vagina with toilet paper. You may also notice that you're sex drive is high and you just feel sexier. One study that I read showed that women tend to by sexier clothing when they are close to ovulation. This totally makes sense because God designed it so that hormone levels would change, creating a higher sex drive around the time of ovulation thus ensuring that the human race would continue.

Another way to tell when you're at the peak of your fertile window is that your cervix will rise just before ovulation. If you straddle your husband while making love and your cervix is high, it will feel very comfortable for you to sit on him, whereas if your cervix is low, you may find this position to be less comfortable.

The egg only lives for 12-24 hours, so you want to be sure you're making love during your fertile window, BEFORE you ovulate. Sperm can survive for 3-5 days in the presence of good, fertile, cervical mucus, so making love before ovulation is very important, and your body will tell you when that is.

Using an ovulation predictor test can help you know when you're going to ovulate. But be aware that women with PCOS may get false positive ovulation predictor tests. They may also see "fertile type mucus" early in their cycle, when they're not nearing ovulation. This is because of unbalance hormones in the first half of the cycle that also cause the body to not ovulate. It is really good to determine whether you have PCOS or not and I'd highly recommend that anyone who has irregular cycles have PCOS ruled out.

Please post back if you found this information helpful or if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate - it's useful to have this information all together.

I found this information particularly helpful when my husband and I were trying to conceive but I was still breastfeeding and so my cycle was not regular but I found it useful to look out for signs of my most fertile time in the month.

LJ

Hi Ms Kate!

The information you gave was awesome. I may have no plans to conceive or to have a baby yet but sharing it to my friends who have plans to would just be fantastic.

I do have friends that have relationships for quite a long time and who are trying to conceive a baby. Most of them however, still are not making any progress in their baby-making goals.

With what you gave, I may tell one friend who believes that she could not bear child that she should use this information in her baby-making endeavor.

Thumbs up to you.

Thank you Kate, was just looking up signs of fertility in the forum search and ran across this. Very helpful information.

You're very welcome This is helpful information every woman should know and most doctors don't share (or even know themselves).

Warmly,

Kate

Wow! Thanks a lot, Kate! Actually, I have been reading about this so-called Natural Family Planning elsewhere, but never had a clear idea because they have been using medical terms. Thank you so much for making us understand this important topic by using simple descriptions and instructions.

You are most welcome - glad you found it helpful, and if you try to use natural family planning yourself and have any questions about what your body is telling you throughout your cycle (cervical fluid changes, etc.) feel free to ask.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Kate, What is PCOS? Sorry you may explained and I have missed it...*Blonde Hair

Hi Tahnee,

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and it's similar to Diabetes in that the body has an insulin resistance challenge.

In PCOS, the reproductive hormones become very unbalanced and the follicular phase is affected. Women with PCOS don't ovulate regularly and the follicle that was suppose to release the egg becomes a cyst on the ovary.

Women with PCOS will often have periods that are long, or that actually skip months. Some women with PCOS have acne on their face or back, and sometimes have hair on their upper lip and/or chin.

Here's an online quiz you can take which may help you determine what your chances are of having PCOS.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I have heard that women under 5'4 will generally have more children than taller women, however taller women are more likely to have multiple births (twins, triplets...). Are there other physical signs of fertility? I also heard a small waist and large hips is a sign, but does it actually serve a biological purpose? For breasts, do larger breasts actually serve a biological purpose of being able to raise more children? Anything else?

Hi mekiaussie234

Physical characteristics such as height, and waist and hip size are not linked to fertility. Similarly having large or small breasts does not determine either fertility or success in breastfeeding. Conceiving a multiple birth is related to genetics and to the age of the mother but not to any physical characteristic. Simply put fertility is not something you can generally see or determine by looking at a women's physical characteristics.

One physical characteristic that does affect fertility, pregnancy and birth is weight. Women who are overweight or obese routinely have more difficulty falling pregnant, remaining pregnant and giving birth. They also have higher rates of complications during pregnancy and birth.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content