Do I have a chance of healthy pregnancy out of being a smoker and drinker?

I found it hard to quite smoking and pass drinking.

It is difficult, but not impossible. Take it slow, tapering off a little more each day. You can do it!

You need to find a good support network to help you. Obviously you know that it is best for your growing baby to not have either of things entering their system, so having supportive people around you that will help get you off them will be a great help for you and your baby. I'm sure even your GP or midwife would be able to point you in the direction for support people in your local area if you need it.
    Good Luck
    Hidden Content
    Janelle Burns
    Naturopath, Remedial Massage Therapist
    PH: 0439 938 638 E: Hidden Content

If you want a baby then you'll do it. Acupuncture can help with the cravings and withdrawl but if its too hard your GP can arrange help with a psychologist for you.
    Hidden Content

Dr Roger Kingston DO
    Osteopath & Cranial Osteopath

Hidden Content

Acupuncture is great but oh my - Cranial Osteopathy is better IMHO!
    Hidden Content

Dr Roger Kingston DO
    Osteopath & Cranial Osteopath

Hidden Content

Hello Isaacle,

Here is an article which I hope you will find useful on Safe Eating and Drinking in Pregnancy.

Whilst some women who smoke and drink have healthy pregnancies; both smoking and drinking can make it harder to conceive and can have an affect on the growth and development of your baby. Alcohol can cross the placenta to the baby which can result in a lower birth weight or even a miscarriage. Smoking can have devastating consequences in pregnancy; it increases the risk of a premature birth and even of stillbirth.

I don't want to worry you but these are serious risks. Therefore, I would take the advice above and look at ways to help you stop smoking and drinking before you conceive.

Please do post back if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello Isaacle

A great article on Environmental Tobacco Smoke and its danger to children has just been posted on this site. This one Alcohol and Breastfeeding also explores drinking after the birth of your baby.

These articles both provide pretty compelling evidence about the dangers of smoking and drinking to unborn babies to infants and children. I have never smoked but I do like a glass of wine and I did find resisting alcohol while trying to conceive hard. But in the end I realised that if I was unable to conceive, I would always blame the alcohol and myself for drinking it.

I think the same is true with smoking and drinking in pregnancy. The risks to your baby are very real and serious. Like LJ, I don't want to worry or pressure you but I do urge you to seek help in the best interests of your baby.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi dessydell,

I think it is best to not smoke at all when you are trying to conceive. I know this isn't always easy - but it will give the best chance of a healthy baby being conceived. Some sources recommend having a smoke and alcohol free body for the 3 months leading up to the period you want to conceive. However, many women who have healthy pregnancies do have the occasional drink whilst they are in the 'trying to conceive period of time'. Again, I know this is harder if you have been trying to conceive for longer.

With best wishes,

LJ