Trying to conceive after loss

Hi There,

Just wanted to ask a question.

I conceived before Christmas and found out I was pregnant during the beginning of January, about five weeks, and only found out when I missed my period. I did 2 home tests and both were positive. The next week, on the 10th Jan, I had some bleeding which became heavier the next day and filled pads. It lasted for two days then stopped. I had scans and blood tests to confirm that I had lost the baby.

My partner and I haven't really been trying again but haven't been preventing either.

I haven't had any periods yet after my miscarriage, however I am due tomorrow. Yesterday on the 25/1 on a hunch I did a home pregnancy test and there was a very very faint positive line next to the darker negative line. I did another test today 26/1 and it was negative with no positive line visible.

I did not let the test sit overnight and then check it, I checked both after the appropriate times.

Could it be possible that I am pregnant again? These tests you can use before you get your periods. Am I testing still too early, should I wait until I get my periods or not before I test again to get a more accurate result?

Many thanks for all your help

It is possible you are pregnant again, anything is possible, but it is extremely unlikely with the miscarriage having only occurred a few weeks ago. It is generally best to wait until after you have had one to three normal cycles after the miscarriage before attempting to conceive again. Since it was a faint positive, followed by a negative, I am concerned that it may just be some residual hormones left over from the miscarriage. See, home pregnancy tests work by reading the amount of HCG, a hormone produced during pregnancy, in your body.

I want to tell you that I am very sorry for your loss. I miscarried the first and fourth time I became pregnant. It is so hard, even when it is very early. My heart goes out to you and yours.

-Angela

Hi Angela,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I am not sure if I mentioned in my post that I did a pregnancy test after my miscarrage and it said negative. I have also been reading about evaporation lines, is that true that they can occur? I have not attempted any more tests atm, but my periods have not shown either.

Thank you for your sympathy, its been a difficult time being as it was my first pregnancy. My heart goes out to you and I am sorry to hear for your loss.

Administrator
    Hi Futuremummy - I am sorry about your miscarriage. It is possible that you are pregnant again as the levels of pregnancy hormones may not have reached clearly detectable levels. But it is also possible that you are note pregnant. Early pregnancy tests are notoriously inaccurate - if your period hasn't occurred you can retest in a few days. I will cross my fingers for you.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi futuremummy

Firstly, please accept my condolences on the loss of your baby. I have experienced a number of losses and know all too well the heartbreak of it all. It has been a few months since your last post. How are you travelling?

I'd like to suggest to you something that assisted me greatly in working through the grief of loss. Creating a tangible memory of each of my children has helped me to honour them and hold them in my heart while also accepting they were not meant to live this life.

For me scrapbooking was my outlet. I have created beautiful pages for each of my children with photos that are meaningful to me - the sea I gazed out on and cried into; the park I imagined I would take my child to. These pages were painful to create but as time has gone on I now look at them proudly and remember more and more the joy of the promise of a baby rather than the pain of the loss.

Others have planted a tree, bought a little keepsake figuring or a piece of artwork, or collected over time a bag of semi-precious stones each bought at different times during their grieving process.

I'd love to hear how you're going
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content