Hybrid View

Hospital that allows private midwives

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here after reading many of the other great threads.

Currently just reading up and learning what options are available before we start a family next year.

I like what I've read so far about continuity of care with midwives and I want to read more. Where I am stuck is finding out which hospitals will allow you to have a chosen midwife with you during birth. I am in Sydney South West but travelling is not out of the question.

I also still want to look into whether public hospitals out of my area would accept me as a patient. so any information about this would also be great!

I have a lot more to learn but this forum has been a great find!

Administrator
    Hi Dazzling - welcome to the forum. It is wonderful that you have joined us. Sorry I had a lot of births last week so didn't get on the forum as I would like. You can take a private midwife with you to any hospital - but they will only be able to function in the roll of a support person (they can provide all your prenatal and postnatal care though). The only hospital in Sydney that I am aware of that you can take your midwife and they can provide midwifery care is Westmead Hospital. They will accept you out of area if you book in as a private patient. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi Dazzling

Welcome! It's great to hear you are considering using your own midwife to ensure continuity of care. The research is exceptionally strong on the value to mother and baby of this model of care.

Taking a midwife to any hospital will be fine as Jane has mentioned. I have had a private midwife at the births of both my children - the first born at home and the second a planned homebirth but transferred to hospital. I urge all women to consider a midwife in private practice and/or a share-care program in order to ensure their needs and desires for their birth are respected.

Jane has mentioned the Westmead program. You might like to read this brochure if you haven't already: New Westmead Hospital Midwifery Antenatal Shared Care Program

Also, have you considered seeking preconception care? Preconception care can greatly increase your chances of conceiving by examining your current state of health as well as your diet and lifestyle. It can help to head off factors which could reduce your chances of conception, and give both you and your baby the best start to a pregnancy. You might like to read this article Planning for Pregnancy: Preconception Care.

For care throughout preconception, pregnancy, birth and the early postnatal period I can highly recommend Jane and her team at PBB Health.

I wish you all the joys that planning a baby can bring!

Regards
    Yvette
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 8th April 2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content