Unplanned places to give birth in 2011

In Tasmania this Christmas a lady had an unplanned home birth whilst wrapping presents under her Christmas tree!: read the article here

Does anyone else know any other unexpected places babies were born this year?
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 29th December 2011 at 03:55 PM.

I don't know of any stories to share, but I just wanted to comment on what an amazing gift that must have been for that family. What a blessing, and I wish them joy and happiness with their new baby.

Administrator
    I don't have any recent stories in 2011 about unexpected places baby's were born. As a midwife though I've seen babies born in all sorts of places including a backyard spas, a teepee on a farm and a five star hotel.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    I've just read an article on ABC News (US) about when babies are born in strange places. They talk about a baby born on a train, airport bathroom and stuck in a elevator at the hospital (the later she was stuck for 2 hours - so not exactly a safe way to give birth).
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

What i can say is, wherever the unplanned place is, joy follows after the baby is born, Though as ausiemidwife says, stuck in a lift is one of the very many placed you dont wish to deliver in.

Birth Places and Spaces

This is not a recent one but, many years ago I went to University with a girl who had had her first baby when she was just 14. We were both studying Early Childhood Education at the time and at my first lecture it was she I got paired with for 'ice breaker' activities. This woman did not regret her decisions to have and to keep her baby son, even though being in a Catholic family and attending a Catholic school posed many trials for her. I remember her as being quite inspirational. Her goal was to 'make something of herself' and become an Early Childhood Director.

Anyway, I recall talking with her once about children in general and she commented that she hoped that one day she would have a little girl. Back then it was still very much the case that a young woman with children was not so likely to be chosen as a partner by a young man. After leaving Uni we eventually lost contact with each other.

Many years later, while working as an Early Childhood Director I heard of a woman, also a Director, who had given birth in her office at the childcare centre. The labour had progressed quickly, and she had moved slowly wanting to ensure that adequate supervision was arranged for the children in her care (yes as Directors we take the care of your children very seriously). The two states collided (the fast and the slow) and there she was in her office with no hope of making it to the hospital.

In those days, we had Mothercraft Nurses in Centres to care for the babies. So it was the Mothercraft Nurse who delivered a beautiful and perfect little girl, right there on the floor.

You have probably figured out the punch line of my little story. Upon hearing it, I asked if anyone new who the woman was. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the response was a very distinctive name from many years in the past. You guessed it. That Uni peer of mine got her little girl, birthed in the childcare centre where she was much beloved and respected.
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 24th February 2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi all

On the topic, I just found this article in todays news regarding a taxi birth.
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 24th February 2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi Mumof2IVFmiracles,

I love the story about your friend who became an Early Childhood Director and gave birth in her office - what an inspirational and dedicated lady she sounds.

Not sure I'd like to give birth in a taxi, mind you!

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Hi Mumof2IVFmiracles,

I love the story about your friend who became an Early Childhood Director and gave birth in her office - what an inspirational and dedicated lady she sounds.

Not sure I'd like to give birth in a taxi, mind you!

I recall talking with her once about children in general and she commented that she hoped that one day she would have a little girl. Back then it was still very much the case that a young woman with children was not so likely to be chosen as a partner by a young man....???
    Smile PlzZZzzz…(Usman Malik)…!!!