Thread: Coffee or no?

Coffee or no?

I am sorry I am new here, so if this has been asked before, I apologize. I am 5 weeks pregnant, I used to drink quite a bit of caffeine, however since discovering I was pregnant I have dropped all caffeine. My sister told me I could drink some coffee. I am so tired I can't see straight. Anyone have an idea if a small amount of caffeine is ok to drink?

Hi Rain_Girl,

It's an important question - thank you for posting this.

The current recommendation is to consume no more than 200 mg of caffeine a day when you are pregnant. Remember that caffeine is not only found in coffee it is also found in: tea, chocolate and energy drinks. It is important to keep within the recommended daily allowance because too much caffeine can make a miscarriage more likely and contribute to a low birth weight.

You could try decaffeinated coffee? If you want to drink this, then it is best to drink coffee which has been decaffeinated by the Swiss Water Filter Process. Chemically decaffeinated coffee can be more harmful than normal coffee.

This article on Caffeine During Pregnancy explains more. Instant coffee typically contains 100mg of caffeine whereas fresh coffee can contain 100-350mg depending on the bean.

Please do post back if you have any further questions on this.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Actually, you can enjoy a brew, but you need to watch quantity. Too much caffeine (also found in tea, cola and chocolate) can increase your risk of miscarriage. The NHS recommends a limit of 200mg a day of caffeine, the equivalent of two mugs of instant coffee.

A morning cup is fine, but to be safe I would suggest that you limit your daily consumption to two cups (since some coffees may contain as much as 100 mg. each).

Hi Rain, Thank you for asking this question. I used to drink 3 to 4 cups coffee per day. But I stopped after confirming my pregnancy. So now I can enjoy 1 cup of coffee per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain_Girl View Post
    I am sorry I am new here, so if this has been asked before, I apologize. I am 5 weeks pregnant, I used to drink quite a bit of caffeine, however since discovering I was pregnant I have dropped all caffeine. My sister told me I could drink some coffee. I am so tired I can't see straight. Anyone have an idea if a small amount of caffeine is ok to drink?
    Try to avoid too much coffee as it contain caffeine, which is not good for you and your baby. If you want to drink, then drink fresh fruit juice, which is very healthy.