Hybrid View

PCOS, Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome 2 years ago. I went through a lot of diet program and excersise and here I am, 23 weeks pregnant!

My biggest concern now is that I have failed 2 units of my Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. My midwife said that I have elevated sugar on the 3rd and 4th hour of the said test. I was advised to see an endocrinologist right away because I can have a Gestational Diabetes.

I am just concern: Was it triggered by my PCOS? Aside from Gestational Diabetes what other complications the PCOS can trigger during my pregnancy?

I will be seeing an endocrinologist this week and honestly I am not sure what to expect.

Thanks for reading!

Hi CharmedLiza05

Congratulations on your pregnancy particularly given you achieved it despite PCOS! In regards to a possible link between your PCOS and gestational diabetes while we obviously can't know for certain that your PCOS is the cause women with PCOS do appear to have higher rates of gestational diabetes.

They can also experience high rates of miscarriage, preeclampsia and premature birth. There are also some increased risks for babies born to women with PCOS including a higher risk of spending time in a neonatal intensive care unit (some of this of course related to premature birth.

Researchers are studying whether the diabetes medicine metformin can prevent or reduce the chances of having problems while pregnant. All indications look good so far but, there have only been a few studies of metformin use in pregnant women, too few to confirm its safety. If you are thinking of taking metformin, talk to your doctor about its safety.

If Gestation diabetes is confirmed (and I hope it isn't), you may find the following article useful: What is Gestational Diabetes?

I hope this helps!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

My doctors said to take care of what I eat and have a healthy lifestyle first. We will monitor my sugar level regularly. I am praying that this will resolve the issue.

Thanks so much for the kind reply Mumof2IVFmiracles! I am actually researching a lot about GDM nowadays.

Administrator
    Have you seen a dietician or a diabetic educator? Both can provide extra information on how to manage gestational diabetes. Often detecting that you have raised blood sugars in pregnancy can lead to lots of health lifestyle changes that benefit both you and your baby. It is great that you are doing a lot of research this will certainly help your understanding of gestational diabetes and the options open to you.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content