Hypnobirthing versus Calmbirth

Before my baby was born I attended a Hypnobirthing class and later before my second I attended Calmbirth. Personally I saw little difference between the two. But lately I have heard a lot of woman claiming one is better than the other.

What are your experiences of each? Have you tried both? Was either more useful than the other?
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi,

This is interested - certainly Hypnobirthing and Calmbirth are based on similar foundations. That is, birth is a natural, normal process that a woman's body is designed to carry out. It is when we introduce fear into birth that it starts to 'go wrong'; stress is introduced into the birth and the body (in particular, the uterine muscles) tenses up. This is thought to slow down the birth and also means a woman experiences the contractions as pain (rather than pressure).

I have only taken a Hypnobirthing antenatal class myself, although I have read about Calmbirth. Whilst the foundations are similar, it seems that Calmbirth classes are generally taught by midwives whereas Hypnobirthing classes obviously focus on self-hypnosis. Calmbirth also puts a great emphasis on birthing as a couple.

Whilst I feel I benefited hugely from my Hypnobirth classes, I personally do not like some of the terminology used in hypnobirthing - in particular it may not be clear (from first impressions) that this refers to self-hypnosis and putting yourself into a deep state of relaxation.

Perhaps I should try Calmbirth in the future! I do feel that it is education about birth which is key (in both programs) to enabling a woman to trust her body and follow her birthing instincts.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 30th June 2013 at 08:48 PM.

I'm interested in people's answers to this too. I've also heard that they're much the same. It probably also depends on the instructor and how it is delivered.

Have you tried either Hypnobirthing or Calmbirth Moomin?

LJ

p.s. Congratulations on your pregnancy