How to remove stretch marks in pregnancy?

Is it impossible to not have stretch marks when you're pregnant, even when you take proper diet.

Administrator
    Hi Molly - Welcome to the forum. Many women experience stretch marks (though not all). If you get stretch marks depends on lots of different factors such how much weight you put on, how big is the baby, your particular skin type and your nutrition. Stretch marks are caused by the skin stretching
    to accommodate the enlarging uterus and increased weight.There are lots of products on the market to avoid getting stretch marks - no skin preparation is completely effective at preventing stretch marks.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi Molly

I was lucky enough to avoid stretch marks in pregnancy. While I did religiously use Bio-oil on my tummy every day from very early on in the pregnancy, I can't really be certain that that is what actually prevented the stretch marks.

I was very careful with weight gain and made sure I had a good diet with good supplements too (especially zinc). Who knows? Maybe it did work, or maybe I am just not predisposed to stretch marks. I figure though by doing these things, I reduced my chances. You might find this article interesting: Stretch Marks
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Relieved from growing marks

I was even stressed with problems of stretch marks after my first baby. It was all over my stomach and lower back, Coconut was effective but to lesser extent than i was refereed to stretch marks services by my near by skin clinic Hills Medi spa, sydney. it was quite effective, my doctor suggested me best treatment. It really helped me get my pre pregnancy looks back. I hope this helps you.

I have also heard reports that coconut oil is good at removing stretch marks due to the fatty content of this type of oil. I personally found rubbing almond oil into my tummy and thighs each day of pregnancy helped to soften my skin and I don't have big problems with stretch marks.

Stretch marks do generally lighten and fade in the 12 months following pregnancy.

I like to think of any stretch marks that remain as a reminder of the amazing way our bodies have carried a baby through pregnancy. They show you have brought beautiful new life into this world.

Yes, my body has changed because I have had two children - but so has my whole world, and I like it this way!

LJ

I have to agree with LJ that stretch marks are a natural sign of an amazing journey. There is far too much emphasis these days on 'bouncing back' after the birth of a baby. This article sums up my thoughts on the topic well: Bouncing Back Postpartum
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Thank you for posting this article - a refreshing read in a body obsessed society. Let us mums keep this in mind:

'Your postpartum form is neither unhealthy nor unattractive. It is proof positive of the power of the female form in nurturing a baby before and after birth, upon which you can draw as you begin life as a new mother.'

huh many varying creams and oils can be massaged into the stretch mark to make them less visible. Coco butter, lavender oil, cod liver oil etc. Just take these and massage onto the stretch mark.

My favourite is almond oil (assuming there are no nut allergies). I found massaging it in immediately after a shower or bath helped it to be absorbed better.

LJ

You can use lemon juice to reduce the appearance of the stretch marks. Gently massage the stretch mark with lemon juice and you will notice that your skin lightens. Lemon is rich in Vitamin C and naturally acidic, it has known for its lightening benefit.