What's your one piece of positive advice about preparing for birth?

Hi all

There are plenty of people lining up to tell their labour and birth horror story to any pregnant woman they meet, as if inciting fear into a womanís heart will somehow better prepare her for whatís ahead!

If you could offer a pregnant woman one piece of positive advice about preparing for birth, what would it be?
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Oooh good question.

I believe that pregnancy and birth can be, for the majority of women, positive life-affirming experiences.

I often wonder what I would tell the pre-pregnancy, pre-children me!

I think it has to be: your body was made to do this. Sounds kind of cheesy but it's true. I had an extremely positive pregnancy and birth with my second son when I embraced all the changes that were happening. Similar, with parenting I would have to say: treasure every moment (the good, the hard and the rest).

Thanks for posting this!

LJ

Hi LJ and XoomIndia

Sage advice! I think my piece of advice would be to aim for the best but also allow yourself change the plan in progress! My second daughter's arrival was light years from the birth I hoped for but with support along the labour journey I was able to make informed decisions and ultimately make peace with what happened. I still consider it a life affirming experience even if not the one I hoped for.

Regards
    Yvette
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Yes - my doula focussed on preparing me for the birth I hoped for whilst talking through the other possibilities that could occur in birth and I was able to express what I would like to happen in each scenario. For example, in the event that I wasn't able to have my (hoped for) water birth - what birthing position would I like to try. I found this a useful process as it meant I could prepare my mind and body for the birth I hoped to experience (and did experience!) but not be discouraged if the birth took an unexpected course.

I am pleased to hear that more and more women seem to be coming back to thinking of birth and pregnancy as a normal part of being a woman - for the majority of women a natural birth with no interventions is possible. For the small percentage of women that this is not the case, birth should can still be informed and positive.

Best wishes,

LJ