Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Where did you give birth?

Did you give birth at home, at a birth centre, or in a hospital?

If you have more than one child, did you decide to do things differently for the next birth?

I gave birth at a hospital actually which I had no choice after awhile. I liked it and everything which it was my first son. I am having my second son at a hospital as well since I have to go through surgery and all. No I am not doing anything differently at all, because my doctor thinks that it would be best for me to go through surgery again.

Administrator
    I made the choice to give birth in hospital the first time around without really understanding what that would mean for me and the implications it would have on my birth. For babies number two and three I gave birth at home and this was just want I wanted. I acknowledge homebirth isn't for everyone - but it was right for me.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I planned a homebirth assisted with a qualified midwife but she preferred that I booked into hospital near the end. Another midwife may have done it differently, but since I already had her, and I was so close to going into labour by that point, I went along with it. So I had a planned homebirth that ended not too badly in hospital, although I couldn't help being disappointed and there were some drawn-out repercussions (difficulty breastfeeding which were in part due to hospital procedures after birth). What about you, Jessica?

5 Born at home

Baby #1 was born at home and had I been in a hospital I likely would have ended up with a C-Section. Born on the living room floor after labouring in the bath tub for many hours.

Babies #2 & #3 were born at home on the bedroom floor.

Babies #4 & #5 were born at home in a horse trough (literally) but it had never been used for horses - it had only been used as a birthing pool and my midwife carted that big, heavy thing from birth to birth. My water births were the best births of all of them.

all 8 of my children have been born in hospital. The first few I didn't really know all of the options. After my 1st c/s, 4th baby, I was too scared of homebirth. Even now, expecting my 9th baby, I don't think I could manage a homebirth. Apart from the fact that i'm seen as incredibly high risk by many, i have large, 4.5kg+ sized posterior bubs & generally need a little help.
    I am considering a waterbirth this time around...albeit in a hospital.

You will love your water birth and labouring in the water :-) So glad you're pursuing that!

I gave birth in a birth centre but I wish I had considered the other options in detail.

I gave birth in a hospital and my experience was okay but I didn't like the part wherein the resident doctors handled me when my OB wasn't around yet. They were just not so gentle when doing the IE.

I gave birth to my 2 sons both in the hospital- same hospital, same OB, same Paediatrician. I was just scared to do it at the birth center or at home. I am not sure if i am ready to try different method for my 3rd child. but I think the water birth sounds okay. I don't know yet, I just feel secured in the hospital for if something happens and needs extensive procedures I don't have to worry that much because i am already at the hospital.

My first, I gave birth to in hospital. I arrived asked if I was in labour and then pushed the baby out when the nurse told me yes. I didn't know I was in labour, as I was 4 weeks early. The second and third at a birth centre. The fourth to eleventh, at home. I had planned to go to the birth centre with my fourth and fifth but never made it there giving birth on the toilet - which happens to be my favourite place to give birth!! Births are quick, a few contractions 10 minutes apart and they are out. I think after you have your first homebirth, it is very difficult to go back to a hospital birth. I didn't like hospital at all and the birth centre was great until they became overbooked and they didn't even let me stay after giving birth to my fifth at home and transferring in. There was not that rush to go somewhere but a peacefulness about just being home in familiar surroundings with everyone you love being able to share in the wonder of new life.

Hello myheartsisters,

I felt the same way you did after giving birth at home. It would have been VERY difficult for me to give birth in a hospital after a homebirth experience.

However, I have a friend who has 14 children and had 13 births (she has one set of twins). She had her first three in the hospital and then decided to have a homebirth. She ended up having the next 3 or 4 at home, and I believe the rest in the hospital.

I remember asking her how she felt about having a hospital birth after experiencing the homebirths, and she said that she really felt like she knew what she was doing (after all, she had already done it 6 or 7 times) and she seemed very positive about it.

The reason they went to a hospital birth was purely a money decision... they had insurance which would cover almost all of the costs associated with having the babies, and as their family grew, they just felt strongly that they needed to cut the cost of homebirth out of their budget.

Now personally, I can't even imagine it, but God gives grace to people for special circumstances, and He must have given that mum special grace to be able to go back to hospital births.

My favorite place to labour is on the lu too. My body just prefers that position for helping to bring baby down. I wanted a birthing stool with my last two, but never had the opportunity to have access to one.

Here's a wonderful article that discusses positioning and the birthing stool is mentioned too.

Are you expecting another baby now, or do you anticipate any more little ones in your future?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post

Here's a wonderful article that discusses positioning and the birthing stool is mentioned too.

Are you expecting another baby now, or do you anticipate any more little ones in your future?

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Kate, when I read your posts, I immediately felt a kindred spirit. I never heard of the birth stool but would have loved to do that option.

I had heart failure with my last pregnancy but am now recovered. My story is http://www.myheartsisters.com/storie...jasher-s-story and will help you understand my dilemma.

I will PM you the rest of my reply.

Jeanee

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    Hello myheartsisters,

However, I have a friend who has 14 children and had 13 births (she has one set of twins). She had her first three in the hospital and then decided to have a homebirth. She ended up having the next 3 or 4 at home, and I believe the rest in the hospital.

I remember asking her how she felt about having a hospital birth after experiencing the homebirths, and she said that she really felt like she knew what she was doing (after all, she had already done it 6 or 7 times) and she seemed very positive about it.

The reason they went to a hospital birth was purely a money decision... they had insurance which would cover almost all of the costs associated with having the babies, and as their family grew, they just felt strongly that they needed to cut the cost of homebirth out of their budget.

Now personally, I can't even imagine it, but God gives grace to people for special circumstances, and He must have given that mum special grace to be able to go back to hospital births.

Kate
    Yes, I think its hard when the system does not support homebirth. I guess, she's strong enough to have a natural birth in a hospital setting.

Kate, sorry I can't message you because I haven't posted more than 15 posts..Arghh...My answer to your question about another birth is complicated, so I have written it, but can't send it to you.