Thread: Anxious mum

Anxious mum

Hi,
    My husband and I are trying for our 4th baby. We were never going to try again after our last as I had placenta previa and the doctors for some reason cut through my placenta. This resulted in a lot of blood loss by me and my daughter had to be resuscitated. I only know bits and pieces of what happened as the doctors were not very forthcoming with information. I only know about them cutting through the placenta as after recovery, still drugged up to the eyeballs, a doctor visited me and said "I don't know why we had to cut through the placenta" I remember him saying that for sure. Anyway, you might think I'm crazy going back a 4th time but my youngest is now 8 and we really want 1 more. Now I've had 3 ceasareans. I just want advice from anyone else in my situation. What are the risks etc... I spoke to my doctor today and have had the blood tests to make sure I'm healthy etc (which I am anyway) I just now want advice from those that have been there and possibly from a midwife if possible for the medical perspective.
    Sorry for the novel 😯

Hi Katstribe

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you certainly had a difficult time last pregnancy. Our leading midwife will respond to your enquiry shortly. In the meantime I wanted to remind you that you can make application to get a copy of your medical records from your last delivery, from the hospital in which it occurred. With the help of a knowledgeable midwife or OBGYN (to 'translate' them for you), this may help you to gain a better understanding of what occurred and why.

Regards,
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Thankyou for your help. I'll have to look into that ��
    Cheers
    Kat

Dear Katstribe,

I'm sorry to hear about your last birth experience. It must have been a scary time for you.

I just wanted to second the advice you have above. It will be important (both from a medical and an emotional point of view) to fully understand what happened in your last pregnancy and labour. Many hospitals also offer an 'after birth service' where a midwife or doctor will go through your labour notes with you to help you come to terms with what happened.

Unfortunately, women who have previously had from placenta previa are more likely to experience it again in a subsequent pregnancy. However, your birth can still be a positive experience. Although you may not have every birthing option available to you (compared to a lady who does not have placenta previa) you can now be armed with knowledge about this condition.

When you are pregnant, you may want to consider hiring a doula (a professional birth partner who can be your advocate in birth and pregnancy). Doulas are not only useful for ladies who want/ can have a natural birth. I believe that any pregnant lady can benefit from the extra support of a doula - who understands your birth hopes and your fears and who can obtain accurate information from the medical staff during the labour.

Saying all this, you may well not experience placenta previa again. Smoking also increases the risk of placenta previa (I don't know if this is something you need to consider). Whilst I have not experienced placenta previa myself, one friend and one colleague of mine have - and both were advised (after further assessment) to rest significantly in pregnancy.

Best wishes,

LJ

Sometimes you need to lean from the experience you got. Grief will only break you more. Other members above have suggested some very good tips. Hold onto it.
    Life is good.

Administrator
    Sorry for such a delay in responding. I am sorry that you had such a traumatic experience last time. It is important to choose your caregivers wisely for the knowledge, skills and understanding. Having a 4th caesarean birth does increase the risks involved in having a caesarean birth. Having a skilled surgeon will help reduce those risks. Have you done some research on the doctors caring for you? Are you able to see a midwife for information or support? Thinking of you.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi Katstribe,

Just checking in and wondering how you are feeling about trying to conceive your fourth baby?

Hope you are ok,

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear Katstribe,

I'm sorry to hear about your last birth experience. It must have been a scary time for you.

I just wanted to second the advice you have above. It will be important (both from a medical and an emotional point of view) to fully understand what happened in your last pregnancy and labour. Many hospitals also offer an 'after birth service' where a midwife or doctor will go through your labour notes with you to help you come to terms with what happened.

Unfortunately, women who have previously had from placenta previa are more likely to experience it again in a subsequent pregnancy. However, your birth can still be a positive experience. Although you may not have every birthing option available to you (compared to a lady who does not have placenta previa) you can now be armed with knowledge about this condition.

When you are pregnant, you may want to consider hiring a doula (a professional birth partner who can be your advocate in birth and pregnancy). Doulas are not only useful for ladies who want/ can have a natural birth. I believe that any pregnant lady can benefit from the extra support of a doula - who understands your birth hopes and your fears and who can obtain accurate information from the medical staff during the labour.

Saying all this, you may well not experience placenta previa again. Smoking also increases the risk of placenta previa (I don't know if this is something you need to consider). Whilst I have not experienced placenta previa myself, one friend and one colleague of mine have - and both were advised (after further assessment) to rest significantly in pregnancy.

Best wishes,

LJ
    + 1
    agree