Tandem Breastfeeding - positions

Hi,

As my son is still happily breastfeeding away I think I may be tandem breastfeeding when the new baby comes along and I am happy about this (as long as my toddler wants to continue feeding).

I've been reading the tandem breastfeeding tips and experiences of other mums on the 'Tandem Breastfeeding' part of the forum - thank you, these are really helpful. I was wondering if any positions are particularly good for tandem feeding? Did you find you changed your feeding positions as the new baby got older?

Many thanks,

LJ

Well I've actually never been a tandem breastfeeding mum, but I have seen mums who have fed their twins, and the hold I found that they used most often was the football hold.

However, what I believe is recommended for tandem breastfeeding an infant and a toddler is for mum to feed the infant first, letting him/her have their fill, and then offering the breast to the toddler. This ensures that the infant gets enough milk. If you are offering only one breast per feed, then you may be able to breastfeed both at the same time, but during growth spurts, you may end up offering both sides.

This has just been my observation in what I've seen and read. Hope to have the input from other mums who have tandem breastfed an infant and toddler. So nice that your toddler is enjoying the continued breastfeeding and that your body is managing it well :-)

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you for your reply Kate.

My toddler doesn't seem to have much milk when he feeds - so I was thinking it would be ok to feed them at the same time. I could then still swap the baby and toddler over (so the baby is drinking significant milk from both breasts). But I know - as you say - some mums feed the baby first.

Yes I am pleased my toddler is still happily breastfeeding! I'm happy to follow his lead with when he wants to stop.

Best wishes,

LJ

LJ,

It will be interesting to see if your toddler gives up the breast altogether when bub comes, if he seems to want it more, or if he continues "as is".

Warm regards,

Kate

Yes - I've given up trying to predict what will happen! Think I will have to just 'go with the flow'!

Thanks,

LJ

Nearly a year later, I thought I would comment on this post and give an update to my tandem feeding experience.

By the time my second baby was born my toddler was feeding around once a day. I found it very easy to establish feeding with my new baby which I largely put down to still breastfeeding at the time I had him. Of course, I also had much more breastfeeding experience the second time around but I feel that my breasts being in 'breastfeeding mode' made it very easy to start the breastfeeding journey with my second son.

I also found that my new baby put on weight very quickly - I did not need to wait for my milk to come in.

The most difficult part of tandem feeding for me was that my toddler started to ask to be fed as frequently as the new baby. I have always had a very special feeding relationship with my older son and he sometimes found it difficult seeing me feed the new baby. However, I feel that it was a benefit to my toddler that he was still able to get the comforts of feeding whilst transitioning to having a new baby brother.

I have now reduced the amount that my toddler (now aged 2.5) feeds - and I only really feed him now if he is unwell.

I have mainly fed my sons at separate times (feeding my new baby first on the majority of occasions). A few times I fed them together and I enjoyed the peace and quiet that this gave me.

How amazing the female body is that it can adapt and feed and comfort our growing children.

Have we got any more tandem feeders on this forum (or those with tandem feeding experience, including with twins)?

Best wishes,

LJ

Nearly a year later, I thought I would comment on this post and give an update to my tandem feeding experience.

By the time my second baby was born my toddler was feeding around once a day. I found it very easy to establish feeding with my new baby which I largely put down to still breastfeeding at the time I had him. Of course, I also had much more breastfeeding experience the second time around but I feel that my breasts being in 'breastfeeding mode' made it very easy to start the breastfeeding journey with my second son.

I also found that my new baby put on weight very quickly - I did not need to wait for my milk to come in.

The most difficult part of tandem feeding for me was that my toddler started to ask to be fed as frequently as the new baby. I have always had a very special feeding relationship with my older son and he sometimes found it difficult seeing me feed the new baby. However, I feel that it was a benefit to my toddler that he was still able to get the comforts of feeding whilst transitioning to having a new baby brother.

I have now reduced the amount that my toddler (now aged 2.5) feeds - and I only really feed him now if he is unwell.

I have mainly fed my sons at separate times (feeding my new baby first on the majority of occasions). A few times I fed them together and I enjoyed the peace and quiet that this gave me!

How amazing the female body is that it can adapt and feed and comfort our growing children.

Have we got any more tandem feeders on this forum (or those with tandem feeding experience, including with twins)?

Best wishes,

LJ

I have mainly fed my sons at separate times (feeding my new baby first on the majority of occasions). A few times I fed them together and I enjoyed the peace and quiet that this gave me!

Best wishes,

LJ