My Girls Love to Watch Suspense Movies

Is it okay for a 6 and 4 years old children to watch other movie genes other than cartoons? I noticed recently that my girls love to watch suspense thriller movies with their uncles. They laugh at terrible scenes when they're supposed to be scared.

Hi char_june,

You are wise to be concerned that 4 and 6 year old children laugh when they watch scenes which should scare them.

First and foremost, I would encourage you to guard your children's hearts for them. Protect them from being exposed to things (movies) which their little hearts and minds are not mature enough to handle.

Thriller and suspense movies can give young children nightmares and can negatively affect their ability to bond and interact properly with others.

There are many, many good programs that a 4 and 6 year old can watch, other than cartoons. Educational programs are wonderful. These are programs that teach young children how to care for others, how to be grateful, honest, pure, and lovely. They teach how to do an excellent job at whatever they are doing and often times they will teach a skill (cooking, gardening, singing, making crafts, etc.).

I am very careful with what I allow my children to be exposed to both in friends and in videos/music. I only allowed them to be around people that I wanted them to emulate, and I only allowed them to see videos with attitudes that I wanted them to emulate.

We didn't watch very much TV when my older children were young, and they became avid readers. They enjoyed books and would be content reading a good book quietly even on long car trips. TV was a treat, and because I used it in this way, even cooking shows or gardening shows meant to teach adults, were enjoyed by the children.

You have the ability to develop your childrens' appetites. If you give them an appetite for cartoons with bad attitudes or thriller movies, they will demand more and will act out the bad things they are seeing.

I noticed that you mentioned in one of your other posts that your 6 year old is disrespectful to you. If you are careful about the programs she watches, and she only watches things where the characters show respect to others, she will start to emulate that too.

Warm Regards,

Kate