breast cyst a possible cause of infertility

I'm Carra,

I'm just quite curious. I have a cousin who's been married for 2 years and she and her husband have done so much effort to have a baby since they got married. They have consulted some doctors and there seem to be no problem for both of them. Then just last month she has been diagnosed with breast cyst. So could it possibly be one reason why she can't get pregnant or is this a possible reason of infertility?

Hi,

I have not heard of breast cysts (which I understand to be mainly harmless) causing infertility. I will check with our midwife Jane.

The only link I can think of is that breast cysts are more common in women over 40 and infertility is also more likely in women of this age. As we get older we produce ovules of a lower quality as well as a reduced quantity of ovules.

How old is your cousin?

It is still possible to get pregnant in your 40s, but it may take longer. There is a useful previous thread on getting pregnant in your late 30s and 40s here.

Best wishes,

LJ

Breast cysts can be caused by a number of things, one of which is hormonal imbalance. I was diagnosed with dense, fibrocystic breasts when I was in my early 20's, and I still have cysts in my breasts, but I also conceived and gave birth to 5 children.

I would tend to say that the breast cyst is not the cause of infertility, but rather could be an indication of hormonal imbalance which is contributing to the infertility.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Administrator
    I would agree with Kate while breast cysts can be caused by hormonal changes - a breast cyst will not cause infertility.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hello,

Thanks for answering this question. My cousin is 27 and she did everything to get pregnant but still nothing happened. What could be the other causes of this problem? And one thing, is it true that if a woman drinks milk for the pregnant women she also gets pregnant?

Thanks Ms. Kate.

Hi Carra,

Thanks for your reply. I see that the age of your cousin should not affect her fertility levels.

Do you know if your cousin has regular periods and what length her cycle is?

It is recommended to have sex at least every other day when you are trying to conceive. It's also wise to eat a balanced, healthy diet and cut out smoking and alcohol (both of these adversely effect fertility levels) when trying to conceive. Have a look at this article on preconception care for some more detailed preconception diet information. When a couple have been trying to conceive for more than 12 months then it is generally advised that they seek a medical opinion on their fertility levels. Has your cousin sought any medical advice yet? I would advise this.

Obviously the difficulty trying to conceive could be caused the man or the woman's fertility problem, or both.

Around 40% of female infertility is caused by endometriosis. This is where the endometrial tissue grows outside of the womb and causes tubal blockages. It often is signaled by painful periods and even pain during sex, as well as difficulty conceiving. It depends on the degree of the endometriosis as to what type of fertility treatment/ surgery is recommended. The good news is that there are lots of excellent fertility treatments available and many, many success stories out there. In mild cases of endometriosis, over 80% of couples go on to conceive after treatment.

Other causes of infertility include; poor egg quality (this is more likely for older women i.e. over 36 years old), problems with ovulation (again, treatment leads to a high conception success rate) and PCOS. There could also be problems with the man's fertility for example; a low sperm count, poor quality sperm, male tube blockages or a sperm allergy problem.

Please do tell your cousin to hold on to the hope that so much can be done and many wonderful babies are born to couples who have struggled with fertility problems.

In terms of the milk that you mentioned I think this is an 'old wives tale' and there is no truth in it.

Please let us know if you or your cousin have any further questions.

Thinking of you,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 17th July 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Hi Carrajhane,

You asked if drinking milk will help a woman to get pregnant and I'd like to expound a little on this concept.

If a woman is underweight or even just at her weight, adding some whole milk products to the diet could prove to be beneficial if the woman puts on a little weight. This is especially true with women who are underweight, because when they are underweight, the body thinks it is in starvation mode, and will shut down the reproductive system until it is given a clear sign that there is enough food to sustain the woman AND a baby. Women who are underweight can actually drink a rich milk (some even drink half and half, which is half whole milk, and half cream) in order to put on weight.

There's actually a book out that advocates eating ice cream and high fat dairy products. But their recommendation is to eat only a very small amount of this - it's not like most women should eat ice cream every day.

In general, cow milk products cause an inflammatory reaction in the body and are best avoided. Better to get high quality, fertility promoting fats from avocado, cod liver oil, cold water fish, coconut oil, olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, etc.

Kate