Thread: crying babies

crying babies

I happened to take care of my sister's baby and it made me wonder why, sometimes, the baby just cry hard for no reason. We've checked every possible cause of discomforts (nappies, hunger, surroundings, etc) but, there was none. I've observed similar scenario from other babies as well.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting your question here.

Please can I ask how old your sister's baby is?

This is an interesting question as some would say that 'babies always cry for a reason'...we just don't always know what it is. Often babies cry because they want to be comforted, particularly by their mum. My baby is 10 months old and there are many times in the day when 'only mummy will do' - after being inside me for 9 months and then an ongoing beautiful relationship including breastfeeding, co-sleeping and babywearing my son often just wants to be close to me and feel my comfort. Many babies will be soothed by the comfort of breastfeeding. There is nothing quite like breastfeeding for soothing an upset or tired baby!

Is your sister's baby breastfed?

Babywearing is a great way to comfort a crying baby and also to form a good attachment with a baby.

If you were looking after your niece, then it may be that the baby was aware that the routine was different and felt uneasy about this. Teething and illnesses can also cause a baby to cry. It is important to check if a baby has a fever or any other symptoms if you think they may be unwell.

Many parents who follow gentle parenting find that their baby does not cry often. This is not always the case - but if you respond to your baby's physical and emotional needs and are available to them whenever they need you they are very likely to be a happy baby

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you for your response.

It is actually my nephew who is still 2 months old right now. I think you're right. Since I was just looking after him, he could have sensed that it was not his mum because of the routine difference. It's really amazing because i've also experienced a few times carrying him and while my sister was still approaching us, he would slowly stopped crying. My sister didn't even make a sound.

At 2 months old that is what I would expect. Babies can smell their mum (particularly is they are breastfed) and it sounds like this is what you experienced.

Have you heard of the 'fourth trimester'? Pregnancy is split into 3 trimesters (divided into approximately sets of 12 weeks). After spending 9 months inside mum in a safe, dark environment hearing their parent's voices from outside the womb it is natural and normal to expect a baby to want to be close to their parents pretty much all of the time (if not the whole time) following birth. This has been termed the 'fourth trimester' and babywearing, breastfeeding and co-sleeping are just some of the practices that can help parents to bond, comfort and enjoy with their babies at this young age.

Many babies and toddlers continue to go on enjoying babywearing and co-sleeping after this age. Breastfeeding is recommended by the World Health Organisation to two years and beyond. All this means that babies and young children form a natural and healthy strong attachment to their parents and may cry and become unhappy when separated from their parents, particularly their mum. Research has shown that babies who form a strong emotional attachment to their parents go on to be independent and sociable as older children and teenagers. Therefore, it is a wonderful thing to nourish, cherish and foster the attachment starting from day 1. As children grow and develop they will step out more on their own; being rooted in the love of their parents.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 7th September 2013 at 05:56 AM.