Hybrid View

Best Contraceptive

Hello,

I gave birth through ceasarian section 11 months ago. I am so scared to get pregnant accidentally again and so my partner and I are really very careful. I am not sure if this is the correct forum to discuss this but I would like to have ideas on experiences and what could you recommend regarding birth control.

Thank you.

Hi bhebs23,

Thanks for your question - this is an issue that lots of new parents consider.

I will ask our midwife Jane if she would like to add any extra comments on this thread; in the meantime I will add my experience and advice below.

Condoms are over 98% effective (at preventing a pregnancy). Some women find they need to start using/ use extra lubrication after having a baby. This can make sex more comfortable.

If you are breastfeeding, you can still use the mini-pill. Some couples who particularly want to prevent a pregnancy use condoms alongside the pill. You do need to take the mini-pill at the same time each day. As life can get very busy with a baby or toddler you may want to set a reminder on your phone to take it.

You can also have injections which last between 8 and 12 weeks depending on the type of injection. The Depo Provera injection is generally thought to be safe for breastfeeding mums. However, you should consider when/ if you want to conceive again as these injections can reduce fertility for up to a year after the injections.

The following forms of contraception should be avoided if you are breastfeeding as they can affect your milk supply: the combination pill, monthly injection (Lunelle), the vaginal ring (Nuvaring) and the contraceptive patch (Orth Evra).

Some couples choose to use natural birth control - there is a thread on natural birth control here which you may find useful.

I hope this information is useful to you. Please do post back if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

LJ

Administrator

Contraception alternatives

Hi bhebs23 - I will just add a little to Laura Jane's comments on contraception. If you have a Family Planning Centre near you they can go through all your options in detail. Otherwise visiting a women's health doctor or nurse is another option. Many GPs have done family planning training - like the GPs at the PBB Health Centre.

Other options of contraception include:

• Diaphram - like the condom the diaphram is a barrier method of contracteption. The diaphram is generally made with latex and is spring loaded. It is placed inside the vagina and prevents sperm reaching the cervix.
    • IUD - this is a T-shaped device that is inserted inside the uterus and is left in place for long term contraception. It is highly successful at 99.2% effectiveness. You would need to talk to a doctor experienced in inserted IUDs.
    • Implanon - this is a hormonal form of contraception that is inserted under the skin of your upper arm. It is rod shaped and is made from a hormone called progestogen.

I hope you find this information helpful

Cheers

Jane
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content