what is postpartum blues?

What is postpartum blues? Is it what they called as birth trauma or if not what is the difference of postpartum blues to birth trauma?

Hi,

There is postpartum blues ('the baby blues') and also postpartum depression. The baby blues is very common and tends to occur within the first week of giving birth and involves a temporary feeling of low mood at a time when when you feel you should be ecstatic with your new arrival. It tends to coincide with a woman's breastmilk supply increasing (beyond the colostrum stage). The baby blues is also thought to be caused the increased tiredness levels which inevitably come with having a new baby and just giving birth.

Postpartum blues is also referred to as postnatal depression and is when a women feels depressed after giving birth. The signs that you are suffering from this include:

- having low energy
    - feeling disconnected from your baby or unable to bond with your baby
    - feeling sad for a long period of time
    - a low mood you cannot break out of
    - having a low appetite
    - feeling constantly tired

If a woman's low mood does not improve a couple of weeks after giving birth than it is likely to be postpartum depression rather than simply postpartum blues - if so it is important to get help from a health professional as well as extra support from family and friends. There is no shame in suffering from postpartum depression - around 1 in 5 mums experience it.

A woman experiences birth trauma after she has been through a birth she feels was a traumatic event. Some women (myself included) even suffer from post-traumatic shock after birth. This is tragic - birth should be an empowering and positive experience however the journey takes you. I went on to have a second positive birthing experience which has helped me to recover further from my first traumatic birthing experience.

A woman who has experienced birth trauma is more likely to suffer from both postpartum blues and postpartum depression.

I hope this makes these terms clearer for you.

Please do ask any further questions you have here. Birthing and pregnancy should be free from medical-lingo and confusion.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks Lj.

You are very welcome. As I said above, I have experienced post-traumatic stress after a long and traumatic first labour and I am now through the other side of this. If there is anything you or someone you know needs support with concerning a traumatic birth or postpartum depression then please let us know. All of these are unfortunately very common and a good support base is important when a woman is struggling.

With best wishes,

LJ

I once attended a seminar and I learned from there that postpartum depressions are caused by lack of B-vitamins. They say, that the baby's brain is formed from the B-vitamins of the mum's brains, so , most of the time, mothers who give birth have B-vitamins depletion... resulting to depression.

So, when I was pregnant with my two babies, I took food supplements rich in B-vitamins (Chia seeds) and I did not experience post-partum blues.

That's interesting xylumictin - thank you for sharing this information.