Unhappy How can I manage my time so that I will not be lacking time with my kids?

I go to school twice a week and attend my newly installed business thrice a week. My two kids are going to school every day from Monday to Friday. Sometimes, when I am so tired, I yell at them only to find out I should not.

Hi Char_June,

One of the best things you can do for your children is to give yourself the needed rest and relaxation that you need. When you are well rested, your time with your children will be better and you will not find yourself being short tempered with them.

Going to school and working can take a lot of your time, but you want to be sure you make a priority of being in bed by 9pm every night, and waking when the sun comes up. This will help to give your body enough rest at night to repair your body, and will also help to regulate your sleep patterns.

Aim to put the children to bed by 8pm each night. You could even make a point of helping them get ready for bed starting at 7pm, then read a book to them from 7:30-8, and then they will be in bed at 8pm. They can read in their beds, by themselves (or look at books) if they are not sleepy, but lights must be out for them by 8:30 or 9pm (your choice).

In doing this, you spend quality time with them from 7-8 (or 7:30-8) and then you have an hour of quiet time for yourself or you and your husband. This can be time where you wind down, read a good book, pray, make lists of things to do the next day, set your clothes out so you know what you'll be wearing in the morning, etc.

If you can make your evenings a priority for your children and you, starting at 7pm each night, and if you will roll into bed at 9pm, you will notice a change in your energy level and you will have more patience with your children. Weekends could be used for homework.

Hope this helps,

Kate

Hi Char_June,

It is hard for us mums sometimes - juggling work, study and household chores whilst wanting to spend time with, and do the best for, our families. I really agree with Kate that you need to have some 'down time' too. A well-rested mum means a happier, more patient mum.

How about planning one fun family activity each week that everyone will enjoy without it being too draining for you? For example, you could go on a trip to an ice cream parlour, plan and walk an interesting route together, have a family picnic, visit a pet store/ farm together, take up a new hobby together (kite flying, body boarding, nature spotting....). It should be something you can all look forward to together; and be quality family time (where quantity is not always possible).

Please do not feel guilty - being a parent is the hardest job in the world

Best wishes,

LJ