Hybrid View

I am a bit worried.

Hello. I am 8 months pregnant now and I am having a baby boy. This is my first time to have one. My baby isn't moving frequently unlike what other pregnant women experiences when they're having a baby boy. Is it normal?

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. There is no research I am aware of which links the amount your baby is moving to the sex of the baby. Some mums do say that their boy babies seem to move more than girl babies, but this is certainly not a rule.

The important thing is simply that you are feeling your baby move each day. By around 36 weeks of pregnancy, most babies are in the head down position (ready to be born) and are not moving around/ turning as much as earlier in the pregnancy. You may feel your baby's movements as lots of kicks in the ribs at this stage in pregnancy! It can get uncomfortable, but remember you don't have long to go now until you meet your beautiful baby - how exciting.

As a guide, you should be able to count at least ten separate movements in a 2 hour period. If you notice a decrease in the movements or you are still concerned then I would advise seeing your midwife so she can reassure you and check the baby's heartbeat.

Most babies move around most from around 9pm -1am (this is one reason why it can be difficult to sleep in pregnancy!).

Please do post back and let us know if this helps,

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Arlene,

When was the last time you had a visit with your caregiver? Was baby moving fine at that time? If you have any concerns about movement, please call your midwife or doctor and talk with them. My midwife always welcomed phone calls, especially towards the end of my pregnancy.

Warm Regards,

Kate