Thread: Dummy

Smile Dummy

Hi. How can I ween my 3 year old from her dummy? Thanks.

Hi Nat,

Thank you for your question - I know this is an issue which many parents struggle with.

There is a previous thread here about weaning a toddler from a dummy with a few suggestions you may find helpful.

My children have not used dummies so I can't speak from personal experience. However, a friend of mine made a big deal out of her daughter giving the dummy to a special teddy bear. She explained the bear needed the dummy to sleep and now that her daughter was a big girl it was time to help the bear. The first night her daughter woke up in the middle of the night and asked for the dummy back and the mum gave it back - I like this gentle approach. The next day the toddler was happy for the bear to have the dummy and that was that.

I have also heard that leaving the dummy for the 'dummy fairy' who then leaves a little present for the child and a thank you card works well for many children.

My other thought would be to wean your daughter gradually from it. For example, first removing morning use (and substituting the time when she would have the dummy with plenty of stimulating activities/ special friends round to play to distract her), then cutting afternoon dummy time, then naps then night-time etc. My feeling is that this approach would be the least traumatic for the child.

I would also focus on the positive reasons for giving up the dummy (e.g. she is a big girl now who gets to do special big girl things like colouring and climbing) rather than the negative (or simply saying that she cannot have it when it has been her source of comfort for so long).

Good luck and do let us know if this helps and how it goes.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Nat,

These are all excellent ideas from LJ. Please let us know if you try any of these and how it goes.

Warm Regards,

Kate