Unhappy How to lose weight after giving birth

Hi! I'm new here in Melbourne. I just gave birth to my 2nd child before relocating here. Even with all the work load in the house, I feel, I am still gaining weight. I am breastfeeding my new born and I feel hungry always. With my 1st born, I did not have this hungry sensation all the time. But it's different now. My friends say, it's because I breastfeed and it will just go away. But my problem is the pounds I gain during this period. Is it true that the hungry sensation will just go away? I want to know how this hunger sensation can be managed without sacrificing the nutrients I need to have for my baby. Can you please suggest products I can use and where to get them? Thank you!

Hi Nat,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new baby.

When both my boys were newborn, I would feel very hungry and thirsty when I breastfed them - particularly when they first latched on for a feed. These feelings of huger and thirst could become so intense that I made sure I always had water and food within reach when breastfeeding. A squeezy water bottle with the top off is excellent for having a drink whilst continuing to breastfeed. I found that these feelings of hunger and thirst reduced as my baby got older.

You say that you have recently given birth, so I personally would not worry about losing the extra weight too quickly. It took 9 months for your body to adapt and change to accommodate the growing, beautiful life within you so it will take a little time for it to return to your pre-pregnancy weight.

Breastfeeding itself is actually one of the best things you can do to re-gain your figure. For now, I personally would just focus on feeding your baby and (as you do so) your weight will begin to reduce. It is best if you feed your baby on demand through the day and night.

How old is your baby? Do you babywear (wear your baby in a sling for a significant period of time each day)? Babywearing can help you to bond with your baby and with your baby's social development (by the increased eye contact) and also help you to regain your pre-pregnancy figure. Walking whilst babywearing is a great way to meet other new mums in your area and to get fit at the same time.

I would advice getting some healthy snack food ready for when you feel these hungry sensations. Foods such as nuts, peanut butter on bread and porridge are low in saturated fat and release energy slowly throughout the day. Otherwise you are more likely to grab an unhealthy chocolate snack when you feel hungry. Dried fruits are also an excellent breastfeeding snack food.

Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated when breastfeeding and this can also help you to feel more full so reducing the amount you want to eat.

I wouldn't advice taking any diet pills, especially when breastfeeding and when your body needs to recover naturally from giving birth.

I hope some of these suggestions help you. Please post back and let me know what you think and if we can help with any further ideas.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 19th July 2013 at 02:24 AM.

Thank you so much. I'll try babywearing. I thought that if I keep the tot in, she will be more independent. But it's quite lonely without the bulge after carrying it for 9 months. ha ha ha Thank you so much! This really has been great

You are very welcome Nat - I'm glad I have been able to help.

Actually, babywearing has been found to help children become more independent and socially confident when they are older. This is thought to be because the child feels confident when they are in the sling (and they got lots of interaction and eye contact from the parent) and so this helps them to have the self-confidence to begin to explore the world themselves as they get older. For example, this study showed that babies who were worn in a sling had a higher attachment to their parents and responded better in social situations when they were older. There are plenty of other studies out there which show similar findings.

Do you have a sling yet?

For a newborn baby up to about 4 months old I would recommend a stretchy sling such as this. You could also try a Mei Tai which can be worn slightly differently for a newborn baby. A woven wrap is one of the most versatile baby slings as it can be used from newborn to pre-school aged children and beyond! Once you have learnt to wrap this type of sling there will be no stopping you! Other mums and dads prefer a baby carrier with buckles such as the Manduca.

Happy babycarrying!

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you, LJ. I'll check this out.

Hi Nat,

One of the best ways to lose weight after giving birth, while getting all the good nutrition you need, is to drink green smoothies. The green smoothies are made of fresh and/or frozen fruit, and dark green leafy vegetables like kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. The dark green leafy vegetables give you protein, iron and a ton of good vitamins and minerals.

You can add coconut oil to the smoothie and/or flax seeds, both of which add "good fat" that your body needs. You don't want to eliminate fat altogether when you are trying to lose weight. Your body needs some. I would also encourage you to eat at least one avocado a day for the healthy fats and the calories your body needs to make breastmilk for your baby. You will be amazed at how quickly the weight starts to come off if you drink green juice and green smoothies while avoiding processed foods that contain sugar and flour. Grains tend to put weight on the body.

Some good snacks to eat while breastfeeding are dried fruits and nuts and you can always keep those with you if you are out and about.

Here's a video that shows you how to make a green smoothie that is filling and very healthy. The flax seeds helps you to feel full longer, and the chia seeds help with weight loss.

Let me tell you that Do not start any crash diets or work out routines. This is not only unhealthy, but can increase the appearance of stretch marks.

Hello, Nat! First of all, you have nothing to worry about. Your hungry sensation will disappear after you stop breastfeeding. You shouldn't keep to the diet now because it can be bad for your health and for your baby too. Breastfeeding itself can help you to regain your figure. Also eat more veggies and fruit when you are hungry, so you won't gain much weight and will not suffer from hunger. Drink smoothies. And good luck.
    P.S: Congrats with your baby!

Thanks for sharing this great advice Numb and welcome to the forum!

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Thanks for sharing this great advice Numb and welcome to the forum!

LJ
    Oh, thanks!

Juicing is one of the best ways to lose weight after giving birth. You can make some juice by blending fruits or vegetables. Lemon, orange and lime are all citrus it good for our body and skin. Replace your unhealthy foods by eating frozen fruits or a fat free yogurt. It is normal that you are hungry after breastfeeding. Just eat small meals to avoid gaining weight.

Thanks for sharing these great tips alexandrah

Breastfeeding is one of the most natural and effective way of weight loss after pregnancy. It was my personal experience with my two kids. This is in addition to my previous post. Thanks ljmarsden. You can also maintain your healthy skin by using natural skin care products as I use like the natural facial masks and natural facial wipes.