Need urgent help- Cradle cap irritating my child for long time.

Hello, everyone,

It is very difficult to wash off the dandruff on the scalp of my child. She is only one year old now and has cradle cap since birth. I have tried many medicated lotions and shampoos but it doesn't go away. The doctors say, it will disappear with time. Her hair looks very- very dirty and people often blame me of not taking proper care when I take my child at social gatherings. The scalp also becomes very itchy sometimes and she remains scratching it. I know she must be very irritated with this. Please give some good suggestions to get rid of the problem without harming my child because she is very small and I do not want to take any health risks.

Thanks,
    Vinni

Hi Vinni,

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having problems with cradle cap. It is a very common problem in young babies and can cause them to have an itchy scalp.

I found that coating my baby's head with plenty of natural oil (you could try coconut oil or olive oil) and then rubbing it with a soft baby brush helped to remove the scaly cradle cap. I personally did not like using the medicated shampoos as I found these were too harsh.

Another method is to coat your baby's head with petroleum jelly before they go to bed at night and then wipe it off in the morning - it should bring the cradle cap off with it.

There is a previous thread here about cradle cap which I think you will find helpful. One suggestion is for the mother to take Evening Primrose Oil to reduce the cradle cap being caused.

I hope these suggestions help to resolve your daughter's cradle cap - please do post back if you need any further help.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi ljmarsden,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion. I am going to try this from today itself. I think coating the scalp with petroleum jelly at night is a good idea as my baby won't feel irritated all day long and I can wash it off in the morning.

Regards,
    Vinni

You are very welcome Vinni - I really hope this helps your daughter. How did you get on?

LJ

I am really very grateful to you ljmarsden. Your tip helped me a lot. In one day time, I can see a great change in the scalp of my child. It's smoother and is looking clean than before. However, I think it will take some days to go off permanently so I will continue with it till I set my child completely free from this problem. Thanks once again.

Regards,
    Vinni

Hi Vinni,

So glad that the petroleum jelly has helped in removing the cradle cap. Something that can be very effective in keeping the cradle cap from coming back is to get some borage oil and rub that on the scalp and any other areas of the skin where the cradle cap (clinically known as infantile seborrhoic dermatitis) has appeared.

The skin is the largest organ of the body, and it absorbs both toxins and nutrients. Rubbing borage oil on the scalp and other parts of the body has been shown to be extremely effective in clearing cradle cap by addressing the cause. When borage oil is rubbed onto the skin it becomes available to the body as a source of gamma-linolenic acid and is used to synthesize Prostaglandin 1. Many mothers and children are deficient in gamma-linolenic acid and if mum doesn't have enough in her body, baby will not get enough from mother's milk. Many babies are born with a deficiency in enzymes which are needed to produce GLA which causes cradle cap.

I would encourage you to give your baby a massage on her back or tummy with borage oil. This will feel good to her, help her relax, and both you and she will absorb the borage oil into your bodies.

There was a clinical study done on 48 infants suffering from severe cradle cap. The infants were treated twice a day with topical applications (on the skin) of borage oil, and the condition cleared in 2 weeks. If the treatment was discontinued before 7 months of age, the cradle cap returned within a week.

Please post back and let us know how your daughter is doing.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi 5Homebirths4Kate,

Thanks for this new information. I am surely going to try this along with the petroleum jelly method.

Regards,
    Vinni

I'm so pleased this helped Vinni. That's great that you have had some extra information from Kate too about maintaining your baby's healthy scalp.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello LJ and Kate,

This is to inform both of you that your methods are working very efficiently on my baby. It's been only 14 days since I started the petroleum jelly and borage oil method and can notice a great change in the scalp condition of my baby. I can't thank you enough for this help. My baby is relieved from itching and her smile makes me so happy. Once again I would like to thank both of you.

Regards,
    Vinni

That's wonderful news - I'm so pleased.

Thank you for updating us,

LJ

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for posting your update. I'm so very glad you found the treatments helpful

Kate