Question Conception Questions

Here are my questions:
    1.) Is it true that it would be difficult to conceive again after a miscarriage? I got pregnant with my 1st baby soon after I got married, and to my 2nd, soon after my husband and I tried to conceive. A year after my 2nd baby died, we tried to conceive again and I did. But then I had a miscarriage. Since that time, February 2013, we have been trying but I am not getting pregnant. Which leads to the second question:

2.) What may be the factors? Was my uterus damaged during the miscarriage?

3.) What should I do to get pregnant again?

4.) Is it safe to get a typhoid vaccine before getting pregnant? I had typhoid during my 2nd pregnancy which lead us to no choice but to induce my baby while she was still 8 months inside. She died after a month in the incubator. I do not want this to happen again.

Thanks. I'll be waiting for your response.

Sincerely,
    Xyleane

Hi Xyleane,

Thank you for sharing these questions with the forum. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) The average time for a couple to conceive is believed to be around 6 months (assuming they are having sex regularly during this time). However, it is considered to be normal if it takes up to 12 months to conceive. The fact that you have been pregnant three times now is the best indicator that you should be able to get pregnant again successfully.

However, following a miscarriage it often takes, on average, 3 months for a woman's cycle to become normal again. Therefore, it can take a bit longer to conceive (compared to someone who has not recently had a miscarriage). Most women who miscarry then go on to conceive again and have a healthy baby. This is even more likely if you have only had one miscarriage and you have had a full-term baby before. I understand from your previous post that your cycles are still not back to normal - this could be affecting your ability to conceive. Particularly as you had typhoid before the miscarriage, your body may need some extra time to recover.

2) I understand you have been trying to conceive for 5 months following your miscarriage - this would not be considered an unusual/ medically concerning period of time to try and conceive for.

At which week of pregnancy did you miscarry?

3) You have had such a difficult time Xyleane - my thoughts are with you.

Stress can make it more difficult to conceive? Do you think you may be suffering from stress? I can only imagine the emotional implications following the tragic loss of a child. Are you receiving any counselling or part of any support groups?

Increasing the amount of zinc and folic acid in your diet can help with conceiving. Eating organic food has also been shown to boost fertility levels. There is an article here on preconception care which has some further advice on ways to boost your fertility levels naturally. Drinking plenty of water is important, and it is best that both you and your partner avoid smoking and alcohol.

You should also have sex at least every other day when you are trying to conceive.

4) I feel so sad for you and your family whenever I read your posts about your baby that died.

There is some detailed information about the typhoid vaccine in pregnancy from the nhs website. The MDHealth site states:

The safety of typhoid vaccine during pregnancy is unknown. If typhoid immunization is necessary during pregnancy, the injectable polysaccharide vaccine (Typhim Vi) is probably preferable, because it does not contain live bacteria.

The research from AAFP is that:

'Neither form of typhoid vaccine is officially recommended during pregnancy. The oral form is contraindicated in pregnancy because it is a live virus, presenting theoretic risks of transmission to the fetus. This contraindication does not exist with the parenteral form; however, studies demonstrating the latter's efficacy and safety during pregnancy have not been performed. Potential benefits and risks of immunization should be considered on an individual basis.'

In conclusion, it is best if the typhoid vaccine is not given in pregnancy (although there are individual cases where this is still recommended when the risks are weighed up). The CDC says you should wait at least 1 month after a live vaccine before trying to conceive. I would follow this advice - and stop trying to conceive until you have the vaccine, and then wait the recommended time after this vaccine before trying to conceive again. You can check this time period with your doctor when you have the vaccine. There is some useful information on vaccinations in pregnancy here.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Please do post back and let us know.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 28th July 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Dear LJ,

I really admire your concern and patience in writing informative responses to my questions.

Though it had really been painful losing my daughter, I think I don't have any more emotional stress brought about by that. I have perfect peace in knowing that God knows best and that everything that happens and will be happening in my life is completely in God's hands.

I think my stress comes from work and some financial obligations to my parents. But I know, God, too, can provide all the strength and support that I need. I also believe that He is using you to prepare me for my future conception. Thank you for that.

I believe that it was in my fourth week that I had a miscarriage because I was only ten days delayed and my PT result was positive but still blurred. I was planning to visit my doctor the following day but the miscarriage happened.

I am really grateful for your efforts in researching about the typhoid vaccine. But i think I still have to pray for wisdom and courage to deal about it.

I have a friend who also has some questions regarding conception but has no access to the internet. May I post them here on her behalf?

Very grateful,
    Xy

Hi,

You are most welcome - it is my pleasure to be able to help support you on this forum. I have really benefited from the support I had on this forum in my last pregnancy (following a previous traumatic birth) which helped me to have the birth I wanted with my second son. I hope we are also able to give you the support you need here.

I see from your reply that your miscarriage was quite early. Whilst this does not detract from the loss you experienced in this miscarriage, it is reassuring from a medical point of view that it occurred in the first trimester and not later in the pregnancy. Most miscarriages in the first trimester are caused by major genetic or fetal abnormalities. In most of these cases the baby is sadly not healthy enough to develop further in pregnancy. Therefore, in most miscarriages in the first trimester the miscarriage is not due to problems with the woman's body. Especially as you conceived twice before the miscarriage; it is most likely that this miscarriage occurred because of genetic abnormalities. This means that you should be able to get pregnant successfully again.

When I was worried about conceiving again after I had been through a miscarriage my doctor said that the best indicator that your body is able to conceive again is the fact that your body was able to get pregnant before.

Yes please do post on behalf of your friend - we would love to be able to support her too.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi, I have some a few questions on conception:
    1) When is the right time to try to get pregnant?

2) When to start worrying about infertility, I'm 25 and have been trying for a few months and nothing has happened.

3) Is it natural to be trying so long? I've been trying since the beginning of the year.

4) I keep blaming myself as I think maybe an infection of some sort that I never cared for properly, might be preventing me from being a mum, my fiance and I never did a fertility test but I'm thinking of it. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi,

Thanks for posting your questions here.

I have covered some of this in my reply to your other post here.

With regard to your first question - do you mean medically? It is easiest to get pregnant when you are aged 35 and under. After this age the quality and quantity of your eggs decreases making it harder to conceive and you are also unfortunately more likely to have complications in pregnancy. It is important to be eating healthily and be generally well when you are trying to conceive.

It is normal to take up to 12 months to conceive, the average time is 6 months.

If you are still concerned you could arrange some fertility tests for you and your partner. However, most doctors would not advise going down this route until you have been trying to conceive for 12 months. Is there any particularly reason you think you may have/ have had an infection? There is an excellent detailed article on understanding fertility and infertility here.

Best wishes,

LJ