Criteria when looking for a midwife

What are some questions to ask or things to look for when trying to find a midwife?

Hi,

This is an important question for pregnant women to consider - thank you for posting it here.

I would say that it is important to have a midwife who understands and respects your birth wishes, whatever they may be. A midwife who will help to empower you to have the birth you want. A midwife who informs you of your choices and then stands back, giving you time to process the information and make decisions yourself. A midwife who understands and acknowledges that childbirth is a beautiful thing and a key moment in a woman's life.

If you want to have an Active Birth then you will want a midwife who is experienced in supporting women with this.

I would also want to know how experienced my midwife was and what her particular specialty/ interests was/were.

I look forward to reading the experiences of others on this topic. I will also ask our midwife Jane for her views on your post.

Best wishes,

LJ

Administrator
    It is really important to choose your midwife carefully and make sure they are a fit for you. When I see women often they come with a long list of questions which include things such as how long have I been a midwife, how many births have I attended, what is my philosophy on birth, what are my intervention rates.

Homebirth Access Sydney have put together a Guide to Choosing Your Midwife. You can download it off this page www.homebirthsydney.org.au/node/354?q=node/77. You'll need to scroll right down the bottom of the page to find the document.

I hope this helps
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content