Breastfeeding issues....Please help.

I have been breast feeding my one- year old baby till now. The elders say that I should continue it for some months but I don't think, it would be good. As this is my first child I am not very experienced about parenting. What is the correct time to stop breastfeeding a child?Can I continue for some more months?If I continue, will it have any bad effect on my health or the health of my child? Friends please come up with good suggestions. I really need help.

Thanks and regards,
    Vineeta Sinha

Hi Vineeta

It's wonderful to hear that you have breastfed your baby for twelve months. I have a two and a half year old daughter who still breastfeeds, mostly in the morning and evening.

Breastfeeding offers many health benefits to both babies and mothers. Adults who have never been breastfed are 6 times more likely to be obese than those who were breastfed for more than 12 months. If you child is a girl she is significantly less likely to develop breast, ovarian and uterine cancer if breastfed for more than 12 months. And it isn't just your child who benefits. For every 6 months that you breastfeed you reduce your own risk of breast cancer by 25%, and lower your chance of developing osteoporosis (thinning bones) in older age.

There is a great article on this site you might like to read: The Pleasure of Extended Breastfeeding

The World Health Organisation (WHO) currently recommends exclusive breastfeeding (i.e. no other fluids or solids) for six months and then continued breastfeeding combined with solid foods for 12-24 months or as long as mother and baby desire. This is a view supported by Breastfeeding Australia in the following article which you might like to read: How Long Should I Breastfeed My Baby?

Extended breastfed is a wonderful gift for your child, supporting their physical and emotional wellbeing. I sound like an add for breastfeeding here, but as a mother of two breastfed babies and after reading extensively on the topic, I can't say enough how great the benefits are!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Thanks for such a detailed solution to my problem. I went through both the links provided by you an they have been very useful to me. I am now going to continue breastfeeding my child.

Dear Vinni,

That is great news that you are going to continue breastfeeding! What wonderful benefits you will be giving your child and yourself. You can rest assured that you are providing your baby with the best source of nutrients and a bond which can be matched by no other type of feeding.

As mumof2IVFmiracles says above - the WHO recommend you breastfeed to two years and beyond. Please see the below statistics on the nutritional benefits breastfeeding provides for older babies:

448 mL of breastmilk provides a 12-23 month old baby with:
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    29% of energy requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements

– Dewey 2001

I wish you many more happy months/ years of breastfeeding.

With best wishes,

LJ

Hi ljmarsden,

Thanks for these statistics. It has surely encouraged me even more to continue breastfeeding.

You are welcome Vinni. I'm glad you feel encouraged. Breastfeeding a toddler is a wonderful thing and please do let us know if you need any support with this in the future. I always find that mums who have been there before help me to get through the tougher parenting times.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Vinni

So please to hear you have decided to continue breastfeeding your baby. Just today an article has been released on this site which provides yet another reason to continue breastfeeding.

Researchers have found that breast milk contains stem cells which might greatly assist the development of breast fed babies. This might be the reason why babies who are breastfed have higher IQs and brains that develop faster. It's a great article. You can read it here: Stem Cells in Breastmilk - A New Discovery

Hi Mumof2IVFmiracles,

Went through this article. I guess this is the best time this article got released at least for me because I really needed knowledge on this issue. I had already decided to continue and now this article has given more strength to my decision. I have also discussed the benefits with some more of my friends and they all are going to continue breastfeeding their child. I am thankful to this site who has brought an end to my doubt about breastfeeding older babies.

Regards,
    Vinni

Hi Vinni,

This is fabulous that you are able to support your friends to breastfeed their children. I find breastfeeding knowledge is contagious - you can't help but share it! Here is my favourite breastfeeding quote, I hope it inspires you and your friends:

'A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food, from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three.' (Grantly Dick-Read)

The beautiful comfort and security of breastfeeding extends into the toddler years and beyond.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Hey ljmarsden,

What a beautiful inspiring quote. Really, nothing can attach you more to your baby more than breastfeeding. Lucky are those who get a chance because there are many who are unable to breastfeed their child because of complications and health problems. I wish every baby in this world gets the three things mentioned in your quote.

Warm regards,
    Vineeta Sinha

Yes - until I became a mum I had no idea of how beautiful it is to bond with your baby/toddler through breastfeeding.

I believe the latest research shows only 5% of mums are unable to produce enough breastmilk for their baby. This is far less than the percentage of mums who choose not breastfeed/believe that they are not able to breastfeed. In my opinion, the current breastfeeding statistics are a tragedy. My hope is for excellent breastfeeding education and support for all mums - so that they are able to breastfeed their babies on demand and give them nature's perfect milk.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Hi ljmarsden,

Yes, you are right in saying that most of the mums consciously decide not to breastfeed their child for various reasons. I am sure those who go through this thread will get enough information to encourage them breastfeed their child. There can be no precious gift a mother can give to her child than the milk that is provided by Nature.

Regards,
    Vinni

Here here Vinni! You are certainly doing your bit to spread good breastfeeding knowledge

Yes, I am trying hard to spread this among my friends, relatives and neighbors too and also through this great website. As I have come to know about so many good reasons for continuing breastfeeding, I wan't others to follow the same for the benefit of their child.

Hi Vinni

The importance and benedits of breastfeeding for both mothers and babies/toddlers is such a valuable message. Well done for your commitment to 'banging the breastfeeding drum' as I like to call it. Often times it is more a lack of information and support I believe that results in early weening. Anything a breastfeeding mother can do to inform and/or support other mothers to breastfeed can only do good. Well done!

Regards
    Yvette