Hybrid View

Listeria in First Trimester... help!

I’m currently 30 weeks pregnant and have done well not to get too concerned with the whole listeria hysteria so far. However, I was recently reading online about a massive cheese recall by the Jindi Cheese Company in January this year due to contamination with listeria. I got my BFP at the end of Jan but over the Christmas/New Year period ate a fair amount of brie, in particular the Blue Cow triple cream brie which was one of the ones recalled on January 18. A week or so before my BFP I had the stomach flu (I was sicker than I had been in a long time!) I brushed it off at the time but am now worried I may have had listeriosis….

My question is, if I developed listeriosis around the time of implantation (or very early in my first trimester) would my baby be showing signs by ultrasound by now? I have had scans at 12, 20 and 29 weeks and they have all shown a healthy baby but I still can’t help but worry that I ate contaminated cheese and she will be born very sick. Thank you…

Hello...

Anyone

Thanks

Administrator
    Hi pregattwentyeight - Listeria is very difficult to diagnose unfortunately and the physical signs are not always obvious. Unfortunately listeria is also very difficult to test for. There really isn't any test that I am aware of that can tell you if you've been exposed. Have you discussed your concerns with your midwife or doctor? They will keep a close eye on baby's growth. You may find it helpful to know that between 34 to 71 cases of Listeria are reported every year in all of Australia. So the incidence of listeria is extremely low. The Jindi Cheese company has cause a lot of concern for a lot of pregnant women as many have eaten their products.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you so much for your reply.

Unfortunately my doctor is away at the moment and I don't see him for another two weeks.

We had a growth scan recently and baby was spot on. I guess my question is, if I did have listeria in my early first trimester (or during the 2WW) which passed to the baby would she be showing some sort of sign by now? Is it possible to contract it during the first trimester and baby seem completely healthy all the way through the pregnancy until after birth?

Thank you.

Administrator
    It is great news that your growth scan shows that the baby is spot on for growth - it provides reassurance that everything is on track.

The information ultrasounds provide is limited. Ultrasounds look for abnormalities in growth and development of the baby and the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby. Listeria doesn't cause developmental abnormalities in the baby - so ultrasound is not helpful for this. Listeria can make a baby unwell and if the baby is unwell it may not grow appropriately (hence keeping an eye on growth is important and ultrasound is one way of doing this). Unfortunately Listeria can cause miscarriage, stillbirth and the baby being unwell at birth and ultrasound may not detect anything abnormal.

From the reading I've done - it seems to indicate that Listeria caught later in pregnancy is more of a concern. Remember that the chance of you catching listeria is quite low. It is very reassuring that everything so far has progressed normally.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi

On the same topic of cheese, I am so paranoid I may have accidently eaten something to cause listeria.

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have been having a healthy pregnancy so far.

A few hours ago, I sprinkled crumbled cheese which comes in a packet on my pasta, microwaved it to a melt and had my lunch. The expiry was Dec2013 and the cheese didn't taste or smell funny. However, when I was putting the cheese back in I saw one solitary piece with mould on it. I am getting so many conflicting bits of advise, but my paranoia is getting the best of me.

Could you please help?

Thanks

For anyone following this thread - there is detailed information about listeria here.

Dear Tanama,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to our forum.

I am sorry to read about your concerns. Listeria is not found in processed cheese. Listeria is also killed by microwaving food so that it is piping hot. I would also like to add that listeria is an extremely rare illness, even in pregnant women. All of these three pieces of information mean that it is highly, highly unlikely that you have contracted any illness from eating the cheese on your pasta.

Try to stay calm and remember it is best to keep stress to a minimum in pregnancy.

In the very unlikely event that you get any stomach symptoms (diarrhoea or sickness), speak to your midwife or doctor. There is a blood test that can be done for listeria if you are still very worried but I do not think you need to be.

I wish you a happy and healthy rest of pregnancy.

Please do post back if you have any further concerns.

Warm wishes,

LJ