He won't sleep without a bottle

Recently he won't sleep without a bottle. I know that it is bad for their teeth (which he doesn't have yet) but it's the only way he will fall back asleep. I do take it away once he's passed out, and have tried a dummy but it never works.
    Any ideas?
    I read that a bottle of water is okay but he won't fall back asleep with it.

It's super important, at 6 months of age, that you are taking the time to hold your baby while you give him a bottle. Propping the bottle or even giving it to him to hold can create insecurity in a baby (initially) and can also cause problems when teeth start to emerge (as you mentioned).

Right now, you want baby to be receiving his nutrition through formula, and if you try to give water instead, he may end up not getting enough of the vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats and proteins that he needs.

If it's night time that you are trying to get him to fall back to sleep, just keep the lights really low while changing a diaper or giving a bottle at night. Having a little night light that you can turn off and on can help. If the lights become stimulating, he may have a much harder time going back to sleep.

If you look at how God originally intended the mother/infant relationship to be, you'll see that mothers were created to feed their babies every 2-3 hours, and the milk comes from the breast positioned on the chest, which means in order for baby to be fed, mother has to hold him. This closeness between mother and baby naturally happens 6-8 times a day, and for about 20 minutes at each feeding. Bonding is established and maintained in this way. We know that babies that are not held or touched enough don't thrive and become sickly. Touch is so very important for the first year of life (and beyond, though it starts to lessen as baby begins walking).

A breastfeeding mum will often sleep with her child, and when the baby awakens at night, mum will latch him on, and then both mum and bub will fall back to sleep. This way, both get the sleep they need. Maybe you could try giving your baby a bottle in bed with you, and propping it if needed, while still giving your baby the closeness and touching he needs. I've also found that when a baby is dozing off, I can often switch the bottle out and put a dummy in, and baby will pacify and fall back to sleep easily.

I hope this gives you some insight as to the value of holding your baby while he eats, at this age.

Warm Regards,

Kate