Hybrid View

Thread-worms creating serious health issues

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is very anxious about the health of her child as the child is suffering from thread-worms for a very long time. He is five years old. She has seen many doctors but the worms keep coming back in two-three months time. Please suggest some good medicine. Should she take some precautions to keep her child free of these nasty worms? She takes care of general cleanliness though. The child is becoming weak day by day. Please help.

Regards,
    Vinni.

Hi Vinni,

Thank you for your question. I have replied to your previous post about hygiene practices to prevent threadworms reoccurring here.

There is some information about the treatment choices for threadworms here.

Threadworms usually just cause itchiness. If they are making the child more unwell they may have spread to other organs - this is rare but would require medical treatment. In light of your comment about 'the child is becoming weak day by day' I would question if this is threadworms or if it has become more serious? I think it would best if the child was checked again by the doctor.

I hope your friend's child is well soon.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello,

Yes, the child is becoming weak day by day and he has been diagnosed of only thread-worms and nothing else. The reason for his weakness may be something other and I think my relative needs to visit a real good doctor this time. When the child is treated for thread worms, he eats properly. May I know if thread worms have something to do with the appetite of a child? Can thread worms cause loss of appetite?

Regards,
    Vineeta Sinha

Hi Vinni,

There is some further information about the symptoms caused by threadworms here. In most cases the threadworms only cause itchiness but you are right - they can lead to stomach problems including a loss of appetite. I would still recommend seeing a doctor about this straight away as it is worrying that the child is getting weaker each day.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello LJ

Thanks for sharing the above link. I asked about appetite because you told me that thread worms mostly cause only itching but I had heard that they can cause a huge loss of appetite specially in children. Now, I know many hygienic routine, tips and treatment for my friend's child. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    vinni

Hi Vinni,

Please do keep us updated with this. I hope your friend's child is fully better very soon.

I would say that a loss of appetite in a child is concerning if it goes on for more than a few days.

Best wishes,

LJ

If there are pin worms present in the child, there could also be other worms, like tape worms, which can cause a lack of weight gain.

Mostly I would encourage the child to drink green smoothies every day and for mum to add a liquid mineral to the smoothies. This will help to put nutrients into the child while they are working to get the worms under control.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thanks for replying. Your advice seems to be good but can you please tell me a little detail about the green smoothies? Will it really work? Can you share some quick recipes that will help him regain weight and add lots of nutrient to his diet?

Regards,
    vinni