Does the ovulation strip method helps in conceiving?

My sister has been trying to conceive for the last two years but is not being successful. The couple desperately wants a child. Do they need to see a doctor or should first take help of ovulation strips to find when she has the chances to get pregnant the most? Is this method helpful? Has anyone tried this? Please help me with your valuable suggestion.

Regards,
    Vinni

Hi Vinni,

Most couples conceive within 12 months of trying. I'm sorry to hear that your sister has still not conceived after 2 years of trying - I would recommend that the couple see a doctor. There are a number of issues that could be affecting their fertility.

Ovulation strip tests help you to know when you are ovulating which in turn helps you to know when your most fertile time of the month is - the time when you are most likely to get pregnant. However, if a couple are having sex every day (or at least every other day) then using ovulation strip tests does not make it any more likely that the couple will conceive.

This previous thread talks about possible causes of infertility (in the comments lower down in the thread) as well as some ideas for boosting fertility levels. I hope this information will be helpful for your sister.

To conclude, if your sister and her partner are having sex at least every other day then the ovulation strip tests would not increase their chance of conceiving. Given the length of time they have been trying to conceive, I think it would be best that they consult a doctor. It may be a medical problem that can be easily solved.

I hope your sister is able to conceive very soon.

Please post back if you need any further help.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello ljmarsden,

Thanks for such a detailed reply. My sister and her partner does not have sex every other day. They try to have sex everyday, only during the days she has more chances of conceiving following the calender method. May be this is the reason, she has not been successful in conceiving. She has already bought the ovulation kit for this month so I guess she is going to use it. I hope she will able to predict the ovulation through that. However, if she does not succeed this month too, I will send the couple to see a doctor as per your advice.

With regards,
    Vineeta Sinha

Hi Vinni,

Yes this could be the reason your sister has not yet conceived. Any method of ovulation prediction is still just a 'prediction'. This is why the NICE guidelines are to have sex at least every other day when you are trying to conceive.

There is an excellent previous thread here about changes a woman may see in her body during her most fertile time of the month. I would certainly advise your sister looks out for these (including tracking the changes in her cervical mucous).

Best wishes to you and your sister,

LJ

Hi Vinni,

LJ have you a link to a great post that explains how to determine when you are fertile and the best time for making love in order to increase chances of conception.

As for your question about ovulation predictor tests - these can be very helpful in pinpointing the best time for conception. Ovulation tests should be taken after 11am, NOT with the first morning urine. If a line appears, it is only considered positive if it is just as dark or darker than the reference line. A test line that is lighter in color than the reference line is a negative test. I wanted to mention this because often times women can get confused with the difference between pregnancy tests (a light line is positive on these) and ovulation predictor tests.

As soon as your sister sees a line that is as dark as or darker than the reference line, she will most likely ovulate in 24 to 36 hours. Often having sex the same day you see a positive test will result in pregnancy.

I have found that using the ovulation predictor test in conjunction with the ability to read your fertile signs is the most effective way to pinpoint the best time for baby making sex.

Having sex every day can reduce the number of sperm in each ejaculate so this is why it's so good to know how to read your body's signs of fertility and time lovemaking accordingly.

The above guidelines are good for couples who do not have fertility challenges. If your sister or her husband are dealing with infertility issues, then those will need to be addressed by a nutritionist or doctor.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate for supporting the decision of my sister of using Ovulation strips. We still don't know anything about fertility issues in them because they have yet not gone for a test. She is going to use the strip this month and if doesn't work, she is going to visit the doctor. With your detail, I find it is worth using the strips at least this month.

Regards,
    vinni