Hybrid View

What do you love about tandem breastfeeding?

Tandem breastfeeding - breastfeeding two children at once - is another road that many of us happily travel on our breastfeeding journeys. It can be a time of immense bonding - not just between new baby and mum but also between toddler (the newly named 'big' brother or sister) and mum as well as baby and toddler. What are your experiences of tandem feeding? What have you loved abut feeding your children together?

Here are some reasons to treasure tandem feeding to get us started:

• The awesome way your body adapts and provides for your new baby alongside your toddler.
    • Moments of quiet in a house of noise and activity.
    • A time for cuddles with everyone.
    • Your toddler feels cherished and safe with the change of having a new sibling.
    • It can help to reduce sibling rivalry - mum is comforting, and feeding, both children together.

It would be great to hear the experiences of other mums who have/are tandem feeding.

In the words of my 2.5 year old son speaking of me tandem feeding himself and his 9 month old brother 'two milks, two boys'! I couldn't put it better myself!
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 1st August 2013 at 02:50 AM.

I have thoroughly enjoyed tandem nursing. When my 3rd child was 4 yo, along came our 4th child and they eagerly nursed together. It was easier to nurse them both at the same time in the early days. We later got into a routine where the new baby would nurse first and then my toddler would nurse second. Night times were a bit difficult as we co-slept and finding a night time rhythm was a bit difficult at first.
    Tandem nursing slowly worked out and i was able to comfort my toddler through growth spurts and new adventures or falls or disappointments. He self weaned when he was 5 years 11 months.
    About a year later along came baby #5 and i was tandem nursing baby #4( now a toddler) and our new born. It worked out wonderfully. Nursing provided much comfort to my toddler and transitioning into brother hood as he was no longer the baby.
    At the moment he is now 5 years and 6 months and our baby is 2 1/2...they are both nursing away. My 5 yo is slowly cutting down on nursing's, he may skip a day or 2 and ask for "nana' if he's tired or having a particularly rough day.
    I high encourage all mothers to consider tandem nursing, the benefits are truly great for the nursing triad.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful tandem breastfeeding experiences sunnymumof5. This is awesome. Surely this is laying the foundations in your children for a lifetime of bonding and love; both between them and between you and each child.

I wonder if you would be able to share a little more about how you found a night time rhythm for our co-sleeping forum members? What was your sleeping arrangement? I wonder if it was just you in a large bed with one baby on each side. Thank you.

It is very encouraging to hear how gently your children transitioned to toddler-hood and older. We need to hear more stories like yours; normalising and celebrating breastfeeding and tandem breastfeeding.

Thank you,
    LJ