Getting a baby to adapt to the bottle

I have unexpectedly received guardianship for my nephew, who for the first two months of his life has been breastfed. I am having a hard time getting him to eat. Any suggestions on how to get him to adapt to the bottle? He seems to spit up excessively every time I give him cow's milk.

Hi,

Thank you for posting about this here. It sounds like it must be a time of big changes and adapting for you and your nephew.

Is your nephew two/ three months old? Babies shouldn't have cows milk until they are 1 year old. For the first six months of life they should have only breastmilk or formula milk. Once a baby is 6 months old and showing certain signs of developmental readiness (e.g. sitting up unaided, reaching for food) you can start to give them solid food alongside the milk. However, the breastmilk or formula should be their main source of nutrients for the first year. I found baby led weaning an excellent way of introducing my babies to solid food.

You can get some bottles designed for breastfed babies such as this. Depending on the age of the baby you could also try a sippy cup or beaker - but I'm not sure how old your nephew is from your post.

This is slightly off-topic, but I know some mums who have adopted babies who have then dry fed them on their own breasts in order to give them the comfort of breastfeeding. I don't know if this is relevant to you or something you want to consider but I thought I would mention it here.

You could also try making sure he is sitting upright when you are feeding him and make sure the milk is warm enough, and you burp him after the feed by rubbing his back and keeping him upright. Did your nephew have any tummy problems previously or problems being sick a lot? Does he seem well and a good weight etc?

Are you getting help from a health visitor or similar? I think this would be really helpful as there is so much to get used to for you and your nephew.

Best wishes,

LJ