Hybrid View

water birth practitioners

Anyone you can recommend for a practitioners for water birth ? I really want to have a full knowledge on how should you prepare your self if you choose this particular birth method. I have seen a lot of videos an it was really amazing.

I want to know also the advantage and advantages of this method against all other delivery method.

Hope someone has an answer for me.

I would be very delighted!!

Hi,

Many birthing centres (which are staffed by midwifes) have birthing pools and you can also hire or buy your own birthing pool if you want to have a home birth. Some hospital delivery wards also have at least one room with a birthing pool.

So I am not sure which area you live in but if you opt for midwife-led care then you should be well supported to have a water birth. The same is true if you choose to have a home birth supported by a midwife in your home.

A good way to know if you are likely to find a birthing pool beneficial in labour is if you normally find having a bath a nice way to relax. Many women in labour find that being in a birthing pool helps them to 'let go' of any tension or fears they may have and so breathe through the contractions easier; helping the cervix to dilate more quickly and efficiently.

There is lots more information about Waterbirth here but I will summarise the main advantages of choosing a Waterbirth below.

- The warm water acts as a natural painkiller, making labour more comfortable.
    - Women who have a Waterbirth are less likely to go on to need Pethidine or an epidural.
    - Therefore, women who have a Waterbirth have less interventions making their labour lower risk.
    - Labour in water can be quicker and easier.
    - A birthing pool automatically gives a woman a 'birthing space' where she can 'go within herself' and turn off the conscious part of the brain which can slow down labour.

In terms of the disadvantages, there are not many really. You cannot use a birthing pool if you are induced using a drip because the equipment cannot be in the water. You can't use a Tens machine in the water. If you get in the water too early (before active labour has started) then it can actually slow down the contractions.

I hope this helps with your questions. Please do post back if you have any further questions about Waterbirth.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi,

I want to know more about waterbirth. It looks interesting but I do not have much knowledge about it. Could you tell more about this. Do you know if it is offered in hospitals as well?

Best wishes,

Manju

Hi Manju,

Welcome to our forum. Waterbirth refers to having to using a birthing pool in labour. There is lots more information on Waterbirths here.

Do you find water relaxing generally? For example, do you like to have a bath after a busy day at work in order to unwind and de-stress? If this is the case then you are also likely to find water will help you to relax in labour. Many women find that the warm water acts as a natural pain reliever as well as providing them with a safe and private space in which to birth. The later of these is so important in birth - in labour a woman needs to be able to 'go within herself' and breathe through the contractions; trying to relax her body as she does so. Indeed, Waterbirths often lead to a quicker and smoother labour.

Many hospitals do have a birthing pool. However, you would need to check with your local hospital as this is unfortunately not always the case. Some delivery wards only have one birthing pool and so it depends on whether this is in use or not as to whether it is available at the time of your labour. You can also use a birthing pool in a midwife-led birth centre or at a Homebirth.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks for the information. Really helpful!

You are very welcome manju. I'm glad you are finding the forum helpful.

Please do post back any further questions you have on pregnancy or birth.

Best wishes,

LJ