Thread: what to eat..

what to eat..

Is there any food not recommended to eat during pregnancy?

Dear Jerika,

Thank you for posting this important question.

We have an article here about Safe Eating and Drinking in Pregnancy which I think you will find helpful.

In pregnancy, a woman should avoid:

- soft blue cheese and mould ripened soft cheese (so this includes: brie, camembert, roquefort, gorgonzolo and Danish Blue). This is because there is a chance that these cheeses could cause listeriosis.
    - unpasteruised milk
    - uncooked/ under-cooked eggs (included egg products e.g. homemade mayonnaise)
    - liver products and liver. These contain too much Vitamin A.
    - Vitamin A supplements, including multivitamins that contain Vitamin A
    - You should also eat two to three portions of fish a week but avoid those fish with high levels of naturally occurring mercury: shark, broadbill, marlin, swordfish and orange roughy. Avoid shellfish.

In addition to this, it is recommended not to drink alcohol in pregnancy. You should also consume no more than 200mg of caffeine a day.

Please let us know if you have any further specific questions.

Best wishes,

LJ

There are several foods those are restrict during for a mother during pregnancy. Foods that contains high level of calories and protein such as; red meat, caffeine, soft cheese and raw eggs.

Actually you can eat red meat in pregnancy it is liver and liver products which need to be avoided. You may not want to eat too much red meat because it is high in saturated fat but it is safe to eat.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Is the risk of getting salmonella from eggs higher during pregnancy than any other time?

The risk of contracting Salmonella is not higher in pregnant women. If a pregnant woman contracts salmonella, it can pose a risk to her baby, but it's not something to be overly concerned about. I didn't change my diet at all when I was pregnant - I still ate mayonnaise, foods with raw eggs, soft cheeses, and drank raw goat milk. But each person needs to do their own research and make decisions that they feel is best for them.

One of the best ways to reduce the chance of getting salmonella from eggs is to simply wash the egg shell with soap and hot water before you open it. I learned that tip from a chef who does this before preparing foods using raw eggs.

Warm Regards,

Kate

What about meat to eat during Pregnancy ???
    Don't compare yourself to others . You have no idea what their journey is all about!

Dear Alexx,

Women should avoid any form of pate in pregnancy as well as liver and liver products. Meat needs to be properly cooked through and stored according to the packet instructions.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

green veg and light food.

Carrots are tops when it comes to vitamin A, so important for the development of your baby's bones, teeth, and eyes. They're perfect for munching on the go, but they also shred neatly into almost anything.Carrots are also a good source of vitamins B6 and C, and fiber.