Hybrid View

baby boy constipated

It took me a long time to find the right formula that would work for my boys. They were on a high calorie formula when they were born and because of that I was unable to breastfeed them. As soon as they gained enough weight, they were able to start 20 calorie formula. Carter, has to be on Sensitive formula. Every since he has been on that he has a problem having a dirty diaper. Sometimes it will be 5 days before he is able to poop. About 2-3 times a day, I give him 4 oz of sugar water (1/2 tsp of sugar). I heard that is supposed to help. Is there something else that I should be doing? He doesn't seem like he is any pain except when he tries to poop.

Hi Jessica,

Did the doctor suggest the sugar water? This is the first I've heard of that being recommended to alleviate constipation in an infant.

If it were me (and I was a State Licensed Child Care provider for 6 years, so I dealt with plenty of formula fed babies) I would stop the sugar water and offer a bottle of diluted prune juice. Pureed prunes (baby food) and prune juice has alleviated constipation in every child I have ever seen that was constipated. You will also want to be sure you're mixing prunes with any baby cereal you may feed him so that the cereal will not constipate him more. I would start with 2 ounces prune juice mixed with 2 ounces water each day for 3 days and if that doesn't do anything, then go to 3 ounces prune juice and one ounce water. You'll need to find out how often he needs it and how much he needs in order to keep his bowels moving regularly. I would want to see every child have at least one bowel movement every day. Even though doctors say it's healthy for some babies to go once every 5 days, I just can't see this as being healthy because I know that the debris is sitting in the body and the toxins are being reabsorbed back into the blood if it's not leaving the body quickly enough.

Be sure your baby is getting enough formula and that you are not replacing formula with sugar water or juice and water. The juice and water should be in addition to what he should normally be taking each day in the way of formula.

I noticed you asked a question about when to start cereal, so I will answer that next.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know your thoughts.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your question. I just wanted to add my experience to Kate's helpful post above - I also have not come across using sugary water to help with constipation in babies. If your baby is in pain when they are filling their nappy then I would check this with your healthcare provider.

You can try massaging your babies tummy in a clockwise direction, as long as your baby seems happy with this. This can help to releave constipation in some babies. You can also gently move your baby's legs as though they are cycling.

Occasionally, very warm weather can cause constipation in babies as they may need extra fluids compared to normal. You can give a little cooled boiled water to your baby but (as Kate says) this should be in addition to their formula milk intake.

I hope this helps - please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

LJ

yes, I agree with ljmarsden, massaging in clockwise direction will help him and then consult to doctor for sugar water or ors.
    Fertility Doctor - parentsoffertility.com