how to healthy medicine sick babies ?

Hi, I'm a mother of first and I always wondered how to treat my baby, as she is one year old now, when she is sick without antibiotics or when to take this decision that it is time to give her antibiotics? what about fever? what about when they got a cold? thank you

Hi,

It is recommended that only a doctor prescribes your baby antibiotics. Antibiotics can have some serious side effects and their use really needs to be decided by a qualified doctor. There are particularly risks with antibiotics in terms of a baby or child such as the possibility of diarrhoea or an allergic reaction.

Doctors will only prescribe antibiotics for a bacterial infection, not just a virus. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. The common cold is a virus so an antibiotic would not be prescribed for this. Antibiotics only kill bacteria.

Colds are very common in babies. There is a previous thread here which I think you will find useful on Natural Cold and Cough Remedies. For example, you could make your own vapour rub from essential oils.

You should contact your doctor if your baby is under 3 months old and has a temperature of 38 degrees or more, or if your baby is under 6 months and has a fever of 39 degrees or more. For older babies a temperature above 38 degrees as well as the child seeming unwell would be considered a fever.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

LJ

Yes, thank you very much I will check that thread.

You are very welcome. I hope your baby stays healthy.

Best wishes,

LJ

Yes thank you.
    Warm regards