Hybrid View

How to conceive a boy?

I already have 2 girls and it would be lovely to have a boy. How can I be sure that my next pregnancy is a boy?
    Last edited by 2jhoan; 21st August 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Jhoan

Sadly there is no way to be certain that one sex or the other is conceived. Gender is determined by the sperm which fertilizes the egg. Women have the gender chromosomes XX and men XY, so all eggs carry an X chromosome while sperm carry either X or Y.

There are numerous diets and theories out there that claim to guarantee a baby of one gender or another but ultimately there is no conclusive proof in most cases. There will always be success stories but since there are only two genders and roughly a 50% chance either way, it's impossible to know whether it was the strategy used or pot luck that delivered the desired result!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi Joan,

There actually are some wonderful things you can do to increase your chances of having a boy or a girl. In fact it's much easier to conceive a boy than it is to conceive a girl.

One of the best things you can do is learn how to watch your body's personal signs of fertility so that you can know when you will be ovulating and you can time your baby making sex optimally for a boy.

When trying for a boy, you'll want to avoid intercourse from the time your body shows signs of fertility, up until the day before you ovulate. Once you know you're within 24 hours or so of ovulation, you can make love on that day, and the day you ovulate, and you'll have a much higher chance of conceiving a girl (this won't work if you had sex a few days before so be sure not to have sex until the day before ovulation).

The other thing you'll want to do is ask your husband to ejaculate deeply within you, depositing his sperm right at the cervix.

There are also things you can eat to make your body more alkaline (thus favoring the little boy or "Y" sperm).

We tried for a girl with our first child, and we conceived a girl.

Here's another thread on this forum where we discussed the things you can do to increase your odds of conceiving a boy.

And here's a good post where I share how to learn how to watch your personal fertility signs so that you can time your baby making sex accordingly. It's good to know if you want to naturally avoid pregnancy in the future.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you very much. I hope we can be successful.

I have a friend who once said that they tried everything written in the book just to have a boy and failed twice. That's when they stopped. Thank you for the information. I share this with my friend couple too.

Hi Jhoan

Yes I have heard similar stories too. To clarify my position, I see nothing wrong of course with giving the diets and tips Kate has suggested a go, as long as you keep in mind that in the end you may or may not have a baby of the gender you are seeking. I have one friend in particular who strictly followed all advice and was bitterly disappointed when she had a second girl, so much so that her bonding with her baby was significantly affected. As I said at the outset in answer to how you can be sure you will have a boy, while there are theories there are never guarantees.

Personally I believe that our children choose us long before conception and birth. We are sent the baby we are meant to birth and rather than being concerned with girls or boys our task is to adore any child we are sent and raise them well. I don't believe a diet will change fate but this is based on my beliefs and faith and others will have very different views, which is fine!
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 29th August 2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

This thread is interesting it's just that it's the other way around, I have been dreaming of having a baby girl instead, I already have 2 boys, 16 and 8 years old.

Dear Joyce,

So, according to this method, in order to increase the chance of conceiving a girl you would:

- have sex from the very start of your fertile window
    - have sex with shallow penetration

I do believe that any pregnancy is a blessing, boy or girl!

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hi Joyce,

LJ is correct, but something to keep in mind is that even though you'll start having sex from the first day of your fertile window, you'll want to be SURE that you stop having sex 3 days before ovulation. It can be more challenging to conceive a girl for this reason. Sex no closer than 3 days before ovulation is important if you want to give yourself the best chance of conceiving a girl

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks for clarifying this Kate