Question Limiting TV for Preschooler

Hello!

Just want to know How much TV is safe for preschoolers to watch? Can anyone provide me some simple ways to wean your child away from the TV.

Hi,

The American Academy of Paediatrics recommends no more than 1-2 hours of selected TV programmes per day for children who are over 2 years old. I think you are right to consider how much TV your daughter your daughter is watching, particularly in light of your other post about difficulties getting your daughter to go to bed at night.

Studies have shown that additional TV viewing time (above the recommended 1-2 hours) is linked with increased violence, obesity and social problems in children and teenagers.

I would recommend substituting TV watching time for engaging activities; activities that your daughter enjoys so much that she forgets that she is not watching TV! Does your daughter enjoy arts and crafts? There are loads of online resources for fun craft projects to make at home such as these:

The Crafty Crow
    Martha Stewart Kid's Crafts
    Funology

Another tip is to go out for the day so that the TV is out of temptation. Plan picnics out in the park or trips to town where your daughter has to spot seven red jumpers or five small dogs. Invite friends round to play and have tea parties or mini theatre shows. Keep your daughter surrounded by busy, fun activities so you doesn't feel drawn to the TV.

When it is time for TV watching, if possible it is best if you can watch the TV with your daughter (or at least pop in and out of the room whilst she is watching it) so that you and your daughter are both engaging with the programme (rather than simply sitting in front of the TV). Choose programmes that have an educational aspect to them and explain to your daughter that she is only watching this one programme and then you are going to be making dinner together/ design clothes for a teddy together etc.

Please do post back and let us know how you get on and if you need any further suggestions.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

Thanks for the wonderful tips and i would definitely tried it and will give you feedback for the outcome.

Thanks again.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

I'm just wondering how you are getting on with making the changes to your daughter's TV viewing?

Best wishes,

LJ