Hybrid View

Gentle Discipline - Your Stories

As our babies grow, jump and leap into the toddler stage many of us start considering the question of discipline. What form of discipline is suitable for our children? If we follow a gentle parenting style then what does this mean in terms of how we teach our children what is right and wrong? What does it mean to gently convey to a child that what they have done does not please us and we do not want it to happen again?

It would be great if you could share your parenting experiences here, particularly if you believe in 'gentle discipline'.

The author Peggy O'Mara writes

'Effective discipline is based on loving guidance. It is based on the belief that children are born innately good and that our role as parents is to nurture their spirits as they learn about limits and boundaries, rather than to curb their tendencies toward wrongdoing. Effective discipline presumes that children have reasons for their behaviour and that cooperation can be engaged to solve shared problems.'

This resonates true with my own thoughts. I want to respect my children and follow their lead, parenting them gently and giving them space, time, energy and love to explore the world. However I do not think that this means I do not need to guide them and, indeed, parent them. I have found that asking my son 'why he has thrown the toy towards another child' helps us to solve the problem together and helps me to understand his actions. He still needs to know this is not acceptable behaviour but if I understand the reason for the behaviour then we can work to change it together - in this case finding soft shapes to throw together outside because he 'wanted to find out how different objects move in the air'.

I look forward to reading the stories of your gentle discipline journeys.
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 24th August 2013 at 07:43 AM.