Thread: More sleep!!

More sleep!!

What can help my baby sleep longer at night? He's 3 months and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I don't believe in the "cry it out" method, but I sure would like some more sleep

Hello,

You are doing a great job there.

Do you sleep close to your baby? Would you consider a side-cart cot or safely co-sleeping with your baby. One of the many amazing facts about breastfeeding is it regulates mum and baby's sleep cycles. This means that you are your baby are likely to naturally wake at similar times in the night. If your baby is laying right next to you then you can just pop him on the breast (or he can find it himself) and then you can feed whilst you fall asleep/ stay sleepy. This night-time feeding will release sleep inducing hormones for mum. But if you then have to get up and move baby, settle in cot etc then this can be exhausting.

I think you are wise to be wary of cry it out methods - please have a read of this article: The Con of Controlled Crying.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

He sleeps next to me in a bassinet. I think you are right about having to get up, move him, and get him settled. Thanks for the advice!

To help baby and mum to get more sleep at night, I would only change my baby's nappy if it was dirty. If he was just wet, I would not change him. This was a piece of advice one of my midwives gave me. I found that if I had to change a nappy, the baby would tend to be awake longer. I also found that using a low light by the changing area helped to keep baby sleepy. Oh, and I found that using a disposable nappy at night kept the moisture away from baby's skin better than a cloth nappy.

I used a bassinet with my first baby for the first few weeks, and quickly transitioned to co-sleeping because it was so much easier and I got a lot more sleep that way.

Hope that helps :-)

Oh, that is a great idea. Will do. Thank you.