Thread: Early menopause

Early menopause

I have a grandmother from my father's side who stopped getting her period in her early thirties. I was wandering if that is genetic and can that mean I will have potential fertility problems in those years of my life? Thank you for your answer.

Dear Sunny,

I understand that the latest research shows that genetics do play a major part in whether a woman goes through the early menopause. Family history is thought to be a significant indicator as to whether a woman will experience the early menopause herself. However, the research only currently shows that if a woman has a 'first degree relative' who went through the menopause early (i.e. before 45 years of age) then she herself is also more likely to have an early onset menopause. A 'first degree relative' is a relative with whom you share around 50% of the same genes.

This all means that it would be if you mother or sister had experienced the early menopause then you are more likely to do so. Do you know what age your mum went through the menopause? This will give a far greater indicator of when you will experience the menopause than when your paternal grandmother did.

Best wishes,

LJ

My mum went through menopause in her early 50s so I guess I will be ok.. Thank you very much!

I'm very glad to hear this Sunny