Importance of papsmear

Hi! I'm 29 and a mother of 2. I had been using contraceptive pills after giving birth to my second child but stopped taking it few months ago after I noticed that I'm having irregular period. This worried me a lot (irregular menstruation) as this might lead to a serious problem. My cousin suggested that I should have a papsmear but I was reluctant doing so because I'm afraid it hurts. Is papsmear painful? I had very low tolerance in pain. And what are the possible defects a papsmear can detect?

Hi shie84,

I've replied to your other post about factors which can affect your monthly cycle here.

A papsmear can be a little uncomfortable but if you try to relax and keep breathing instead of holding your breath this should help. It will be over very quickly. It is a very important test as it checks for pre-cancerous cells in the cervix (i.e. abnormal cells in the cervix that are at risk from becoming cancer). However, I don't believe it has anything to do with reduced monthly periods (like you have described).

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ!

Yes I've read your reply and it really helped me decide to go to a doctor. I'm getting paranoid about my condition so I think seeing a doctor would be a great idea to end my worries and concentrate on solving my health problem if there is any.

Yes this certainly sounds like a wise decision shie84. I hope your doctor is able to put your mind at rest and, in the meantime, please try not to worry.

Warm wishes,

LJ

Hi, I am experiencing the same and, like her, I am afraid to undergo pap smear. Is there any alternative to this test? My friend's mother was diagnosed with cervix cancer and I witnessed how painful it is for her mother and for the rest of their family specially her younger sibling that still needs mother's care. Thank you.

Dear Leslie,

Please do not be worried about having a papsmear - most women only describe it to be slightly uncomfortable. I would go ahead and book one with your nurse or doctor. Explain to them that you are feeling nervous about the procedure and they will help you to relax.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you for all your advices. They really are helpful. I hope I can do this.

Ring your nurse/ doctor and at least arrange to have a chat about this and you'll probably start feeling better. You can't have the papsmear when you have a period.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Thank you for the reminder. I'll be in contact with my doctor now. I just hope there is an alternative to this test. Thanks again.

There is not a current alternative to the papsmear test I am aware of. Hold in mind it will be over very quickly and most women just find it uncomfortable rather than painful. Please don't worry the best thing is to try and relax when you have the test. The papsmear test can save lives.

Best wishes,
    LJ