Hard to feed kid

My daughter is 3 years old. She's an active child but when it comes to eating, she seems like out of energy. She only eats nothing but her favourite foods that when I serve her other foods, she will hardly eat at all. She doesn't want to drink milk either. I tried several brands of vitamins to enhance her appetite but nothing's changed. I'm worried about this. Please help.

Dear shie84,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to read you are struggling with your toddler's eating habits. It is very normal for a child of the age to go through a fussy stage. If she seems well otherwise then I would not be too concerned.

I've just posted some ways to encourage lifelong healthy eating in toddlers here so you may want to have a read of this.

In terms of milk, have you tried getting your daughter to eat porridge made with full fat milk? It is fine for her to get her Calcium requirements from yoghurt, cheese and even foods such as raw tofu, spinach and wholemeal bread if she doesn't like drinking milk.

What are your daughter's favourite foods?

Please do let me know if some of this helps.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi ljmarsden!

Thank you so much for your reply, i appreciate it a lot. I will definitely do as you advised.

My daughter loves to eat hotdogs, fried chicken, burger & spaghetti; these are the foods she wanted to eat every single day. I know its unhealthy that's why I worried a lot.

I've read the link you gave and I hope it will help me.

Once again, thank you

Shie84

Dear shie84

Sorry to hear you are having issues with fussy eating. I recall my now 9 year old was obsessed with eating chicken, rice and broccoli, and would ask for it every night. At least in this instance though, there were healthy options for me to give her this meal and slowly introduce other foods onto her plate.

I notice you mention your daughter likes spaghetti. I assume since you have referred to it as unhealthy, you mean the canned kind. One option might be to start with this and move to a healthy option. I make my own spaghetti bolognese sauce, loaded with mushrooms, red kidney beans and good quality frozen vegetables. It is half vegetable and half lean beef mince, along with tomato paste and tinned tomatoes. I use a food processor to process down all the vegetables making them invisible.

Both my toddler and older child love it with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese on top and a slice of garlic bread. To them it seems terribly yummy and wicked - if only they knew just how chocked full of veggies it is!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Mumof2IVFmiracles- your eating tips are making me giggle tonight. Thank you. Isn't it true that humour often diffuses a potential area of conflict with kids?!

Shie84 - you are very welcome. How about extending mumof2IVFmiracles' advice above onto the other favourite foods that your daughter likes? For example, you could make your own burgers loaded with vegetables or try some of these recipes aimed at kids.

Warm wishes,

LJ