Thread: Worried :(

Worried :(

Good day! I have a friend who experienced miscarriage with her 1st baby. I am on my 1st trimester of my pregnancy, and I am very worried because I might also encounter this. I asked her what are the signs and symptoms she have experienced before. I sometimes felt those that she told me like abdominal cramps, minimal bleeding when walking or using the bathroom, a little dizziness when I stand up and others. I am worried and I donít know what to think, Iím afraid for me and my babyís health. Can you give me some advice that I should put on my mind so that I will not be worrying too much! Thanks a lot for your help!

Hello,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I'm sorry to hear your friend had a miscarriage. Unfortunately miscarriages occur in around 1 in 5 pregnancies. However, hold onto the fact that it is more likely than not that your pregnancy will not end in a miscarriage.

Miscarriages tend to be accompanied by the symptoms of: vaginal bleeding, cramping and backache. There is lots more information on miscarriages here. A miscarriage can be diagnosed used an ultrasound test.

In terms of the bleeding, with a miscarriage the bleeding tends to become heavier and heavier. Around 1 in 4 women experience some sort of bleeding in the first trimester and most of these are not caused by a miscarriage. You said you have had 'minimal bleeding' - this could be 'spotting' which is light bleeding (much lighter than a period). How much bleeding have you experienced?

It is recommended to see your doctor or midwife if you have any bleeding at all in pregnancy just so that they can check the health of you and your baby. In most cases, it is not a miscarriage but it is best to get it checked.

I really hope all goes well with you.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing.

Thinking of you,

LJ