Need your help :)

Hi! I am 2 months pregnant and I am so concerned about my babyís health inside me. I want my baby to be healthy. I am fund of eating fruits and vegetables but I am not sure if everything is just good and right for the nutrition of my baby. I am so excited on having a baby. Its is my first child thatís why I want him to be healthy, this is the reason I am very particular to his health. I hope you can give me suggestions and advice. Thank you very much!

Dear beccakendrick,

How are you? I know you were concerned about the possibility of a miscarriage from your other post. I sincerely hope all is well with you and your baby.

There is lots of useful information on What to Eat in Pregnancy on the main part of the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond site here.

You should take folic acid supplements at least in the first trimester (it is also best to take this in the month leading up to conception) - you need to take 400 micrograms a day.

Organic food has been shown to contain significantly more nutrients/ vitamins than its non-organic counterparts. For instance, organic apples, peas and potatoes contain approximately 70% more iron and 60% more calcium than non-organic apples, peas and potatoes. Therefore, if you can eat organic food then this is beneficial to you and your growing baby.

You will want to eat lots of fruit, vegetables, cereals and wholegrain foods. It is important to get at least 1000 mg of calcium in your diet each day. This plays an important factor in your baby's developing bones. Excellent sources of calcium include: dairy products, tofu and calcium-fortified juice and cereal.

The links above also discuss what not to eat and drink in pregnancy. This includes: alcohol, avoiding smoking, certain types of fish, pates as well as being careful to avoid food that could contain listeria.

Please do let us know how you are and if you need any extra information about what to eat in pregnancy.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 18th September 2013 at 06:21 AM.